Find the answer to your Linux question:
I purchased MDK (sorry mandriva )10.1 discovery a while ago and have since found that there are some essential packages missing (dev tools etc). I looked around on the web ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake ISO query?

I purchased MDK (sorry mandriva )10.1 discovery a while ago and have since found that there are some essential packages missing (dev tools etc).

I looked around on the web to see where I can download iso's from and found the following site:

ftp://ftp.iut-bm.univ-fcomte.fr/pub/...ions/Mandrake/

I know I need to burn ISO's so I follow the links to get to

ftp://ftp.iut-bm.univ-fcomte.fr/pub/...iso/10.1/i586/

Now there appears to be a number of different things I could download.

1 - I assume I need th CD1, CD2 and CD3 .iso file. Correct?

2 - I'm assuming that these give me something equivalent to the power pack that mandrake offer?

3 - What are all the other (non DVD files) for ie the .md5 and .md5.asc?

Thanks for clarification

Linux Enthusiast
    You are correct, in order to install it, you need the *cd1.iso, *cd2.iso and *cd3.iso files.

When you download an .iso file, you can check it's integrety by using the md5sum file.iso command. The value it returns to you, you can check by checking it against the values in the .md5 files.

A md5.asc file contains a GnuPG signature created by the "author". That way, you can check if the software is still the same (and not tampered with).

The Mandrake-powerpack is something you need to buy. You can't "download" it for free

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that.

I 'll download and see what happens.

Final query - how does the 'free' download vary when compared with 10.1 Discovery? One obvious thing is no Dev tools...