Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok im installing, er trying, to install suse 9.2 pro on my system, i choose a custom parition scheeme as to prevent it from blowing up my two windows partitions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

partition not big enough?

Ok im installing, er trying, to install suse 9.2 pro on my system, i choose a custom parition scheeme as to prevent it from blowing up my two windows partitions and when i try to point it to my unformated parition on my drive but it tells me theres not enough space for a minimal install. as you can see below theres more then 20 gigs on that partition, so what am i doing wrong here?
    http://img192.echo.cx/img192/5126/disk9fc.jpg

Is that drive partitioned? It doesn't need to be formatted, but it does need to be partitioned, just make one big partition, SUSE will take care of the swap.

After you partition it, see what SUSE comes up with for an automatic partitioning plan.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    yup its a primary partition, i created it from unalocated space with PartitionMagic, its just unformated, im going to format it in Ext3 and see what happens with suse.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ya same deal, i dont understand, dose it want me to select two partitions? one for the swap and one for root? becasue its only one partition, so maybe thats the problem?

Just Joined!
    nope, i created two unformated partitions and suse still tells me there not big enough when i select them, so i guess ill just make one big unformated partion like i had it and hope the auto partitioning tool isnt eating my windows drives, its been a while since i used linux and the drive labeling system is odd for me, so i hope what it proposes isnt killing anything i need.
    and also on the boot loader options it sais it wants to install grub into my master boot record, i heard somewere that this was a bad idea if you want to dual boot with windows. is that true? if so were should i install it to then.

What kind of plan did the automatic partitioning plan come up with?

If you do it yourself, you have to come up with the 2 partitions. Just use SUSE's manual partitioning tool, delete the partition, create a swap partition. Should be double your ram, but no larger than I Gb. and use the rest for /.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    ok im up and installed, the auto partitions scheeme did well and didnt kill my windows, i do have some problems, but as its suse related ill post it in the suse forums =)

I am glad you are up and running.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ