Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I run the following command in my mozilla directory (/usr/local/mozilla/plugins) Code: ln -s /usr/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so . This used to work for Mozilla 1.0. Does anyone have any ideas why I'm not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Mozilla 1.4 and JRE plugin

I run the following command in my mozilla directory (/usr/local/mozilla/plugins)
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so .
    This used to work for Mozilla 1.0. Does anyone have any ideas why I'm not able to see the JRE plugins?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Enthusiast
    don't you have to specify where you want it to link to?

ie:

Code:
    ln -s /usr/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/plugins
    or whatever your mozilla 1.4 dir is

the whole mozilla and plugins thing seems weird to me sometimes, I have about four versions installed right now, lol.

Linux Engineer
    Well,

I'm currently in the directory /usr/local/mozilla/plugins. There is a dot at the end of that command I previously put. It denotes the current directory. Has anyone succesfully installed this yet? Maybe I need a new j2sdk version or something.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I haven't tried that approach, but they all work when I symlink them into my per-user plugin dir, ~/.mozilla/plugins. Or, in fact, I haven't tried symlinking, I've just copied to libs directly - maybe that is somehow the problem? I am using Mozilla 1.4, so it should be the same, at least.

I don't think that Sun's JRE plugin links correctly to a mozilla compiled with GCC 3, though. You could try blackdown's JRE instead.

Linux Engineer
    I never compiled anything for Mozilla1.4. That was the weird part of this. It was almost like installing a Windows program. Perhaps I need to download the nightly build and install that from source? Anyhow, I was able to use the jre plugin without any problems in a precompiled Mozilla 1.0.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bpark
    I never compiled anything for Mozilla1.4. That was the weird part of this. It was almost like installing a Windows program.
    Well, whoever compiled it in the first place might have used GCC 3, right? Anyway, I don't know how correct that is; I just read it at some time on mozilla.org, and maybe they have fixed that since.
    Anyhow, did you try to just copy the lib instead of symlinking it?

Also, try launcing mozilla from a terminal and see if it says anything about it.

Linux Enthusiast
    I just switched distros and am seeing the same thing happening.

It is Jamd and came with 1.2.1 and had the java plugin listed and when I installed 1.4 it won't show in the plugins. I've tried copying and symlinking with no luck.

This is weird.

Jamd does not come with dev tools so I can't compile from source which I wouldn't do anyway likely so it makes no difference.

Linux Engineer
    The problem is both of them were not compiled with same version of gcc. You either need to use 2.x or 3.x for both of them since gcc3 is not backwards compatible with gcc2. I believe sun's latest release of java is compiled with gcc 3.2. I use mozilla 1.4 and jre 1.4.2 both compiled with gcc 3.2 and it works great.

Linux Engineer
    I should have tried running this from the prompt before but I guess that shows me how dumb I am.
    Running it from the command line, I get the following error stating that the "GetGlobalServiceManager__16nsServiceManagerPP17ns IServiceManager" is undefined. Does this mean that this precompiled binary didn't enable an option to support this?

Linux Guru
    That could be virtually anything. Mozilla has so many obscure classes that it's just ridiculous. As I remember, though, I think it says a lot about enumerating the plugins somewhere along the top half of the output. How much output do you get, btw.?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast