Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
There are several text editors to choose from: pico, nano, joe, ed, vi, emacs are just a few....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

There are several text editors to choose from: pico, nano, joe, ed, vi, emacs are just a few.

Just Joined!
    so i just edit the file as i would edit a file in windows using notepad? ok, ill try it out. you seem to be knowledgable on the linux os. would you happen to know how to get it to recognize my nvidia geforce 4 ti4600 graphics card? It lists geforce cards, but the latest one listed is the geforce 3.

Linux Guru
    Most unix configuration files are just plain text files, to allow for easy configuration and remove the need for special configuration programs.
    (Just a grammatical side note: It should not be Linux O/S, but GNU O/S. Linux is just a part of it.)
    To fully support any geforce card, you'll need nVidia's drivers. You can download them from http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_archive. They are a bit buggy, and might crash your system if you leave it on for a week or two. My workstation, which is geforce-equipped, has been up for 11 days now, so I'm just waiting for it to come. However, they are _very_ fast, and boosts your graphical performance very much. And I would imagine that most people don't keep their workstations on around the clock like I do.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    well, i opend up a text editor and then opened up the file, but it wont let me save the file.
    First it says "Unable to backup file" then "Unable to write to file".

Linux Guru
    Are you root?

Just Joined!
    yup

Linux Guru
    OK, then... strange...
    Try running this from the shell:
    Code:
    echo >>/etc/lilo.conf
    echo "other=/dev/hda2" >>/etc/lilo.conf
    echo "        label=WinXP" >>/etc/lilo.conf
    Note the double arrows (>>, not just >). If you type just one, you'll ruin your /etc/lilo.conf

Just Joined!
    well, it took the commands. im going to reboot to see if it worked. if i never come back and post what happeend, i gues something went wrong lol

Just Joined!
    ok. so i re booted the computer and it didnt work. i then decided to reinstall mandrake (8.1, the version already installed) and I did it in expert mode. This time I wouldnt install Xfree at all because it said my video card isnt recognized. I then installed Mandrake 9.0 and got the same errors when installing. The errors occur when it is installing the files from Disk 2. So I took a break, watched some television and decided to install Mandrake 8.1 again and see what will happen. So right now I am installing it. When I configure the boot loader (LILO) it doesnt give an option to set the defaut operating system to load up when it is booted. So I just set it to the windows partition (/hda2). Ill post what happens. I wonder what could be wrong with Disk 2 though. First it says certain packages have problems and at the end it says there is something wrong with the CD. I checked the md5sums and things, so there shouldnt be anything wrong. And the CD is fine.

Just Joined!
    well, i installed mdk 8.1 and this time it gave the option of booting winxp. But now when i select it, the screen says:
    Loading NT
    LI_

And it just sits there. Im letting it sit in case it is loading something, but I think its hung.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast