Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an onboard RAID adapter that I have running with Windows XP. My motherboard is the A7V333 with the Promise MBFastTrack133 Lite. Mandrake (or any current linux distro for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

booting with two SCSI/RAID/IDE controllers installed

I have an onboard RAID adapter that I have running with Windows XP. My motherboard is the A7V333 with the Promise MBFastTrack133 Lite. Mandrake (or any current linux distro for that matter) although it detects it, doesn't understand it, so it doesn't see the disks there. You may remember that issue from before on this board. I don't really care about that because I don't want linux to mess with my Windows stuff. I just got this SCSI controller and hard disk. (BusLogic BT-956C) Linux detects it and installs to it just great. The problem is that since it doesn't see my other controller with the windows install it doesn't add it to the lilo configureation. In my BIOS I have it set to boot the SCSI/RAID controller. But theres two of them! It automatically boots to the onboard RAID with my windows install and I don't see anything having to do with Linux or Lilo. How do get Lilo to give me a boot promt and how do I make sure both OS's are on there?

Thanks much.

Linux Guru
    You can't do that with LILO. LILO depends on Linux being able to read the boot sector on the Winbloze hard drive and add that to its map. GRUB can do it, however, since it relies solely on itself and the BIOS. So upgrade to GRUB, you won't regret it anyway.

Just Joined!
    Ok so i did the "upgrade install" of Mandrake 9.1 So basically it just went through the install process agian and didn't copy any files since they're already all current but it let me reconfigure everything that I did in the install. I selected to install grub this time. It didn't change, it still booted right into Windows. Does grub install onto the MBR? Where is the MBR actually located? on a hard disk or on the motherboard, or what? If it were the on the hard disk, then it would still be on the linux hard disk, but it would have to be on the Windows Disk because that boots first. If it DOES have to be on the windows disk, is there a way I can manually install grub or lilo on there when in windows or DOS or something?

Do I maybe want to try PowerQuest bootmagic? Powerquest supports linux and everything and it might be easier to install. I can do that from Windows.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    GRUB installs where you choose to install it. The MBR is the first sector of the first hard drive, ie. the first 512 bytes of /dev/hda. If Windows is on your first hard drive, then yes, GRUB has to be installed on the Windows hard drive.
    Which drive do you have first in your boot chain?

I know nothing about BootMagic, but if it supports Linux, it might be worth a shot if it's simpler to configure than GRUB.

Just Joined!
    the windows drive is on the onboard raid controller. If i use the Official fixed Mandrake 9.1 Install CD, it detects the RAID controller and everything, but it can't read the partition tables and wants to wipe them out. I of course say no, so it still isn't able to use those drives. Since there is no way I can get the RAID to work in the install, I don't think linux will be able to automatically install a boot loader. I'll either have to do it manually from windows or use BootMagic.

Here's another interesting thing though. I just tried to use the quick partition magic thing where it displays any OS installed on a primary partition, system wide. It didn't display linux, so I look and the SCSI card doesn't work in windows xp! Its an old card and has been discontinued.

This seems hopeless. The Windows drive doesn't work in Linux and the Linux drive doesn't work in Windows. I already tried creating a boot disk. It still didn't seem to do anything. It still just booted into windows, but I'll try that agian and double check to make sure its set to boot off the floppy.

In once last hope for getting grub to install on the Windows drive, is there any way it could install even if it can't read the partition tables? Is the MBR something definate that is seperate from the partition tables?

Thanks for the help.

Linux Guru
    The MBR certainly isn't seperate from the partition tables. The partition tables are inside the MBR.
    Try to go to my home page (link at bottom of post), download the GRUB boot floppy image and write it to a floppy, either in Windows using the rawrite program that is also on my home page, or by running "cat grub.img >/dev/fd0" in Linux.
    Then boot from that floppy, and see what happens if you run these commands:
    Code:
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1
    boot

Linux Guru
    You might want to check out this one as well:
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html