Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Fedora Core 3 and later decided I also want XP on the same HD. I insert my XP CD and reboot my computer. It says press any key ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual boot XP cant install

I installed Fedora Core 3 and later decided I also want XP on the same HD. I insert my XP CD and reboot my computer. It says press any key to boot from CD so I hit a key. I says "Please wait while setup inspects your hardware configuration." Then it goes to a black screen and thats it. I used this XP cd just a week earlier with no problems. I also tried using 2 other XP cd's and get the same problem.

Hi Punisher187,

I have read in many places that it is highly recommended to install Windows first. I have no idea why this is (maybe for the same reason that you are having problems) but I would go with that.

Hope that helps,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

The reason for installing Windows first, is that Windows always writes to the MBR, overwriting anything already there. Killing LIlo/Grub.

Try having the cd in the drive and doing a cold boot(that is let it sit for a minute or so, then boot up).
    Remember, doing this will kill your bootloader, so make a Fedora Core boot disk.
    Or, check this post, http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...ial-19999.html
    Hope this helps
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ