Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I copied the config file from knoppix into debian... every config-looking file that there was ... is there a way to tell what version of x-windows knoppix uses? I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I copied the config file from knoppix into debian... every config-looking file that there was ...
    is there a way to tell what version of x-windows knoppix uses? I have knoppix 3.6 if that helps any ...

but the config file, being correctly installed, has exactly the settings my monitor needs. What does this error "no screen found" mean?

Just Joined!
    To add to this whole thing, let me upload the config file and see if i can get the logs from x ....
    here is the config file: http://www.theanythingbox.com/XF86Config-4.con
    (renamed it .con so that the (crappy) windows-based server i happen to be hosted on can let you download it)
    as soon as i can get the logs uploaded, i will do that!

I don't want to impose anything on anyone, i just REALLY need to get this running...

also, i'm going to re-do it again, getting windows. Found out that Wine doesen't support DirectX very well, and i need that for my Games!! if not for them, those 4 gigs would still be unpartitioned ...

Just Joined!
    well someone correct me if i'm wrong here.

as far as the "no screen found" error.. i've been dealing with this same error for the past week or so. first i used the woody .r4 dvd, trying both 2.2 and 2.4 kernels. I then gave up, and did a sarge net install (actually using the 2.6.11 and unstable packages). that, paired with the correct monitor information, finally got me able to start up X.

as was previously mentioned, if you have your monitor information, ie H and V sync, and go with a minimal display resolution, you're pretty much good to go.

getting the monitor information was hard for me, mostly because of my no-name old 15" monitor.

good luck.

Just Joined!
    I got a "file not found" on your config file, but anyway it looks like copying the config from Knoppix to Debian isn't working. So, if you still have Windows use it to get all the info you can about your mouse, keyboard, video card, monitor, refresh rates and run (as root):
    Code:
    xf86config
    and fill in the values as it prompts you. Give this a try as it is the "proper" way to set up X.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2