Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi! Right now i'm in knoppix, so i can get to the 'net ... i just installed Debian linux 3.0 r1 the linux flavor (default) .... made SURE that it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X windows and a new linux install

Hi! Right now i'm in knoppix, so i can get to the 'net ... i just installed Debian linux 3.0 r1 the linux flavor (default) .... made SURE that it installed x windows, KDE, and GNOME.

However, even so, i'm stuck at the command prompt, with no idea how to get x-windows to start!
    X-init gives me errors (don't remember them all ...) such as no screen and such - but linux itself works just fine on my system (works ok with knoppix)

Anyone know what could be wrong?

NOTE: i will do my utmost to try to get any information you need. However, i'm a noob, so i have really no idea what i'm doing. I did not do ANYTHING except install it and apt-get aptitude, so i'm hoping that will simplify the problem!

THANKS SO MUCH!

Just Joined!
    The command to start X is startx. If you get errors, you may try copying your X config file from Knoppix and using it in Debian.

Just Joined!
    Ok! That should work!

... now just one question. If i get errors, and need to copy the config file,
    where on knoppix will i find it?
    and where do i put it in debian?

THANKS!

Just Joined!
    Its ususally in /etc/X11

Just Joined!
    ... what would the file name be?

Just Joined!
    never mind
    i think i'm just going to use the root shell, delete the current directory contents and replace them with the whole directory in the knoppix X11 folder... just in case its a lishgtly different version of X (dunno why though - cause its the same kernel)

Just Joined!
    OK!
    drat
    there was apparently some dependency i ruined by changing over to the config of knoppix...

I wonder if knoppix has a program to auto-config X for a different system ...

Linux Engineer
    Lemme guess. You didn't make a copy of the original file before you overwrote it, too.

One should ALWAYS make a quick copy of a config file before fiddling with it. That way it's very easy to restore it back to it's original state if you flub it up.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    i would, if in it's original state it was WORKING

... however i got a (seemingly) working one from knoppix (who autoconfigures it for my hardare ... gotta love it), and installed linux again with the 2.4 kernel instead of the 2.2 kernel
    hopefully that'll help.

Now i'm getting a different error (well we're getting somewhere!)
    no screen found
    i have no idea what that means ... just hoping someone arround here does!

Just Joined!
    Your config file from Knoppix should work in Debian. Im not sure what version of X Knoppix uses these days, so look in /etc/X11/ for XF86Config, XF86Config-4, or xorg.conf. I don't know if an xorg.conf file will work to replace an XF86Config or not. Copy just the config file to the /etc/X11 directory in your Debian install. You will need to name it exactly the same as the original configuration file in Debian was named.

All that being said, this is all just a shortcut. The Linux way to do it is to find out your monitor and video specs and configure X using (as root):
    Code:
    xf86config
    It will ask you to enter the values for your keyboard, mouse, monitor, video card, and horizontal and vertical refresh rates of your monitor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast