Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
It said something like kernel at least 2.6.11 is required otherwise the system may be unstable. And I've installed it anyway too....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

It said something like kernel at least 2.6.11 is required otherwise the system may be unstable. And I've installed it anyway too.

Just Joined!
    LINUX ROCKS!

It's working! I can't believe I finally got it to work! It's not 100% stable, it needs intensive care but at least it's breathing. Huray!

Here's what I've done (I don't know what actually helped and what steps are really necessary, but I know for sure that when I did that it started working):

PART II

Referring to PART I earlier, when I started sax2 it froze. So I've done a new 64-bit Linux install in text mode again. I've only installed minimum packages necessary for it to work and install faster, X graphical system, KDE, Documentation, C++ and stuff, Development incl. kernel sources.

Everything installed without a problem. The system booted OK, I can see all the drives and everything. This menas that there was no problem with the SATA HDD ever at all. This is all only to do with the video card and nvidia drivers.

Have a copy of the nVidia drivers:
    NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0301-pkg1.run and NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7167-pkg2.run

Note the nVidia 7174 driver never worked for some reason even though it's newer than 7167!

login: root
    password: root_password
    #> init 3
    #> cd /usr/src/linux
    #> make cloneconfig
    #> make prepare-all
    #> cd /drivers_folder (folder where the nforce and nvidia drivers are)
    #> sh NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0301-pkg1.run (and follow the prompts)
    #> sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7167-pkg2.run (and follow the prompts)

It complained about my kernell and system instability but I've installed it anyway because I didn't have any other choice. Well, this may be the reason why the system is not fully stable. It works fine with one user logged in. But if I log in as a second user (eg. root), the mouse cursor erases everything it points at for the second user. When I close the second session, the first user works fine. Occasionally it boots and the monitor outputs heaps of color garbage and freezes as it did before, but so far it only happened once. Well, anyway

#> cd /etc/X11

Now I edited the xorg.conf file. I like MC more than any other editor, it the same as the old-days Norton Commander. But you can use any editor you like. So

#> mc

Scroll down to xorg.conf and press F4 to edit it. I've changed the HF and VF for the monitor to 30-70 and 50-160 respectively, then changed the "nv" driver to "nvidia". That was it. Press F2 to save it and F10 to quit the editor and again F10 to quit MC. Then

#> modprobe nvidia
    #> sax2 -m 0=nvidia

And there you are! I mean and there I was! Bingo! It showed the display configuration, I clisked to change the monitor. It never detected my monitor correctly and I couldn't find it in the list anyway, so I've selected VESA 1024x768@85 and that's it! I've rebooted and bingo again, KDE popped in and ... bla-bla-bla, you know the rest from the begining.

Hope this helps someone. I'll make a separate Tips,Tricks or Howto post on this.

Now I have to update everything to newer versions and hope it works even better.

Thank you all who gave me suggestions. I wouldn't have done it without your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2