Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, Having just installed suse 9.2 in text mode (eventually) but when I boot the system I end up with an error message on my monitor (from the monitor ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Frequency out of range on Dell E773C with suse 9.2

Hi guys,

Having just installed suse 9.2 in text mode (eventually) but when I boot the system I end up with an error message on my monitor (from the monitor not from the sys) saying that the frequency is out of range and gving me just a blank, black screen when I'm expecting a GUI instead.

To try and solve this I've googled for some help and followed the instructions in this thread which details the same problem on the same spec computer:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/pro...key=b9a799803a

(They say to log in as root, vi /etc/X11/XF86Config, and change the horizontal and vertical rates to the appropriate range for the DELL E773C moitor)

BUT they didn't work for me! A key difference may be that I selected auto login in YaST. I'm getting to a text only login screen by waiting until I see the moitor warning and the hard drive calms down, and pressing CTRL-ALT-F1. Then I carry out the changes to XF86Config. I've even commented out some of the modes with #'s but nothing is working and I just end up with a blank black screen and that warning.

I'm going crazy. Can't find any other help on google. Can anyone help me?

PH

try checking the log file, for you it should be /var/log/XF86.0.log or something similar on the same path, if there's something wrong it should show up in there

Just Joined!
    Never thought of checking the logs. Thanks. Will do this later after some sleep.

Also, just thought of this, knoppix and helix liveCDs boot fine. Is there any way to find and look at the settings they have used too. Will check this myself later too.

Suggest away people.

Just Joined!
    There is something unusual in the log file. It says that there none of the following are detected: CRT, TV, DFP, LFP, CRT2, TV2, they are all false. The model of the display (I presume) it is detecting seemd to be a DEL D005. Google and found nothing on this. What is a d005?? and why isn't it detecting the E773C monitor?

Also should I set the DisplayInfo option in the device section to FALSE as reccommended byt the file if the system hangs at that point - even though I suppose it isn't hanging.

P