Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi everybody; i am trying to step into the world of Linux, and as a first step of it, i am trying to download the DVD version of Suse 9.2. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wrong md5 by suse 9.2 dvd iso!

hi everybody;
    i am trying to step into the world of Linux, and as a first step of it, i am trying to download the DVD version of Suse 9.2.

at my first try, i downloaded the file directly via FTP, i think it was the FTP of suse.org (or smt. like this) , it took like 2 days of time and i got a mismatching md5!!

then i tried it via BitTorrent, which i've found under these forums i thought this time it should work but unfortunately i got a mismatching md5 again!!

so, could anyone help me of avoiding this mismatching md5 and managing a safe download, or anyhow to safe the already downloaded file (which is about 3.3 GB) ?

thanks..

Other than using a download manager (which firefox has built in) there's not much you can really do. I'm a bit surprised by the bittorrent problem...you don't see that happen very often.

You might want to consider linuxcd.org for a cheap copy.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

When you downloaded the ISO from the Suse FTP, did you computer crash or something else irregular happen? This may be the cause of the problem because the Suse FTP copy should work.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    yet i come up again with another question;

what i was trying to compare is not md5, but hash info .. may it be the same thing with md5 ? or what it is at all?

md5 and hash are not the same thing (go to Amsterdam and you'll see what I mean).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Engineer
    ROTFLMAO!
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    md5 and hash are not the same thing (go to Amsterdam and you'll see what I mean).
    fine, how do i check the hash info then? don't say "search in google!" i already did, i got hundreds of pages, it was quite impossible to pull the necessary part out..