Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to create a multiboot system with Win98, XP, and Linux (SUSE distribution). I divided my hard drive into three partitions (I used Partition Magic v8.0) and put ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't Load Suse Linux after installation

I am trying to create a multiboot system with Win98, XP, and Linux (SUSE distribution). I divided my hard drive into three partitions (I used Partition Magic v8.0) and put Linux in the front. So partition 1 has Linux, partition 2 has Win98, and partition 3 has XP. I installed Win98 first, then Linux, and then XP. Before I installed XP, I could run Linux just fine because the boot loader (GNU/GRUB...not sure which) would start up and then I would be asked which OS to run and I could choose Win98 or Linux. However, after installing XP, the boot loader does not run. When I use Boot Magic (the program that came with Partition Magic), it gives me the option of choosing Win98, XP, or Linux, but if I choose Linux all I get is a "Preparing machine to load Linux" message and nothing happens. I then have to reboot the machine. I can boot into Win98 or XP just fine using Boot Magic, but not Linux. Why is that? Is there a way to fix it? How come the GNU/GRUB boot loader doesn't load anymore? Can I not run three operating systems? Any help offered is much appreciated.

The grub bootloader doesn't run anymore because XP overwrites your mbr when you install it. You can boot from the Suse install disk, select Installation, and when you get to the setup screen, select Boot Installed System. This will get you to a command prompt on your SuSE install, where you can type
    Code:
    grub-install /dev/hda
    to reinstall your bootloader. I would recommend making a boot disk as well, so that you don't have to fiddle with the install CD if this comes up again.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

Thank You Very Much

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I really appreciate it. I am assuming that GRUB is already part of the SUSE Linux distribution?

I don't need to download it separately?

Do I need to type in the letter of the hard drive or just the code that you posted?

Thanks again for your help.

Grub is SuSE's default bootloader and is, indeed, included in the distro. From your first post, it looks like you only have one hard drive in the system, which would make it EXTREMELY likely it would be /dev/hda. In that case, the code I gave you should work fine if you enter it as root.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

Actually, I have 2 hard drives

Actually, I have 2 hard drives. The drive that Linux is on is C and the other drive is D. So would I type 'c/dev/hda' to install Grub?

Linux Engineer
    grub-install /dev/hda
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!

No Luck

Hmmm...well, I still wasn't able to load SUSE properly. I was able to boot from the installation disk by following the instructions that Flatline gave in their previous post, but I never got to the command prompt. When I selected the BOOT INSTALLED SYSTEM option, Linux scrolls through a lot of commands and then boots. I never get the chance to install Grub. I am running SUSE 9.1 Personal Edition. Any suggestions?