Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
erm, install the kernal- right..... erm, my cd's are labelled disk 1,2 and 3. which cd do i use to do that and how do i do it????? havent i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

erm, install the kernal- right.....

erm, my cd's are labelled disk 1,2 and 3. which cd do i use to do that and how do i do it?????

havent i already got the kernal installed????

Linux Guru
    I don't know what CD it is on, but the package should be named kernel-source. I'm sure that Mandrake has some kind of package manager that you can use to find it.

Indeed, you do have the kernel installed, but not the source code for it. You need the source code to compile kernel modules, so that the versioning symbols can be matched against your running kernel.

Just Joined!
    right located and installed the source code from 3rd cd. the alsa driver installation seems to go fine but i still dont get any sound. i dont even see the ice-1724 driver in the soundcard driver list. wat am i doing wrong? i do get an alsa error message on boot up though

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Driver list? Where can you find such a thing? What happens if you run "modprobe snd-ice1724"? What error message is it that you're getting?

Just Joined!
    u can select the driver from a list of drivers in harddrake. it list both ALSA and OSS drivers ...

Linux Guru
    I've never really trusted programs like harddrake. Try running "modprobe snd-ice1724" instead. What error message is it that you're getting during boot?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3