Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, while i was installing both Fedora Core1 I've hearded a bad sound from he hard disk and the indtallation stopped (Hang ) the same problem happend with mandrake 10.1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A problem while installing Mandrake 10.1, Fedora Core1

Hi,
    while i was installing both Fedora Core1 I've hearded a bad sound from he hard disk and the indtallation stopped (Hang ) the same problem happend with mandrake 10.1 what can I do ???!!!

Are you sure that the disk works?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    yes, I'm sure it worked with a friend

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    sounds to me like your hard drive decided to commit suicide....ive had it happen so many times its not funny....but just incase, did it just sound like a loud click, like a jet plane from far away, or was it like a bang...you may be able to get it to work if you run Dban on the drive....do a google search for either "Dban" or "dariks boot and nuke" download that tiny ISO image (like 1.2megs in size) either implant the image on a floppy, or do what i did and burn it to a CD which ever you think easier...then to run Dban, put it in your CD rom drive, reboot, and then when the blue screen comes up that looks like the windows screen of death either hit enter for interactive mode, or type autonuke (no spaces)...let me know how it turns out

Just Joined!
    Thank you, i'll try this but i've read tat

DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.
    why i should do this?????
    i think it is a bad sector in my hard, do you know how to fix it????

Just Joined!
    run dban it should tell u if theres any bad sectors, if there are any bad sectors well i dont know how to fix them i usually run dban on a hard drive an it usually runs better then perfect after i run it