Find the answer to your Linux question:
Installing Fedora 3, I have about 1.9G available on hda, partitioned as hda2. I have an external 160G HD (USB 2.0) totally free. Anaconda installer (Disk Druid) doesn't give me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using external USB drive with filesystem

Installing Fedora 3, I have about 1.9G available on hda, partitioned as hda2. I have an external 160G HD (USB 2.0) totally free.
    Anaconda installer (Disk Druid) doesn't give me the option of partitioning anything on the external drive. It only shows hda
    If I Ctrl+Alt+F2 at the partition stage of install, I can fdisk -l and see the external drive as sda.
    Any ideas?
    I've already installed to hda, so maybe I can move things now? Is it possible to remount directories, like /usr?

Just Joined!

at a loss

I've being doing a lot of research and have tried a lot of suggeted solutions, like remounting /usr/local to the usb drive.
    Unfortunately, this probably won't work.
    When I look at my fstab, the USB drive is listed as something like /media/?something? and something about 'pam' instead of default. It looks like it is treated just like a CD-Rom.

Is there some way to 'fool' the system to symbolically link a directory or directories on the usb drive to /usr/local, /home, etc?

Can I copy /usr/local to the USB drive, name it /usrnew/local, delete the contents of /usr/local and:
    ln -s /usr/local /usrnew/local

TIA for any help!