Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have a 40 gig hard drive with windows xp occupying a 32 gigabyte NTFS partition- the remaining 8 gigabytes is unallocated i want to install a version of linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help installing linux (knoppix 3.7)

i have a 40 gig hard drive with windows xp occupying a 32 gigabyte NTFS partition- the remaining 8 gigabytes is unallocated

i want to install a version of linux (knoppix 3.7) on the remaining space - and have the option of logging into either operating system-

anybody know how to correctly partition and format the remaining space (8 gb) to do this? (i.e. what type of partition, how many partitions, how to setup the bootloader, etc.)

Re: need help installing linux (knoppix 3.7)

Quote Originally Posted by somalista
    i have a 40 gig hard drive with windows xp occupying a 32 gigabyte NTFS partition- the remaining 8 gigabytes is unallocated

i want to install a version of linux (knoppix 3.7) on the remaining space - and have the option of logging into either operating system-

anybody know how to correctly partition and format the remaining space (8 gb) to do this? (i.e. what type of partition, how many partitions, how to setup the bootloader, etc.)
    I've not installed Knoppix but I would expect that just as with those distros that I have installed, the Installation cd should handle these issues for you and enable you to either accept defaults or change to suit your needs. You'll need a minimun of two partitons. As to file system type, ReiserFS and ext3 are the two most recommended ones. If you have a choice of bootloaders I'd suggest GRUB.

Linux Engineer
    But it's a little different with knoppix since knoppix never meant to be installed. Here is the guide if you want to try anyway: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo