Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I tried installing Debian, everything installed all right I guess but when it came time to make a boot disk, every time it tried to make a disk, got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Won’t make a boot disk

Hi I tried installing Debian, everything installed all right I guess but when it came time to make a boot disk, every time it tried to make a disk, got an error, said that couldn’t make the disk said the disk was bad, I tried install xandros because I herd it was real easy to install, but when it came to the boot disk, still the same problem. I tried using a couple of live CD versions of Linux I have to, it didn't like the drive to.

I have windows XP on my computer and the disks and drives all worked fine under XP

Re: Won’t make a boot disk

Quote Originally Posted by guy72116
    Hi I tried installing Debian, everything installed all right I guess but when it came time to make a boot disk, every time it tried to make a disk, got an error, said that couldn’t make the disk said the disk was bad, I tried install xandros because I herd it was real easy to install, but when it came to the boot disk, still the same problem. I tried using a couple of live CD versions of Linux I have to, it didn't like the drive to.

I have windows XP on my computer and the disks and drives all worked fine under XP
    I'm not quite clear about what you are saying so please bear with me. Are you saying that you CANNOT create a FLOPPY boot disk? Or are you saying that you CANNOT boot from the installation CD?
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Just Joined!
    I'm trying to create a boot disk on a 3 1/2" floppy

I'm trying to create a boot disk on a 3 1/2" floppy
    Format the floppy first from linux. I've had the same issue and this solved it. I've also had several floppies straight from a box of new floppies that could not even be formatted. If you hav'nt already, buy a BOX of new ones and try until you get one that works!! Hopefully this will do it for you.

Just Joined!
    wich format DOS or Ext2

wich format DOS or Ext2
    ext2

Just Joined!
    At first I thought you couldn't read it on Linux but you could on Windows because it was formatted with a FAT filesystem, and I wasn't sure Linux could read it. But still, when making a bootdisk it would reformat the disk anyways, right?