Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying to install the Mandrake Linux 9.0 dist and when it comes to the part on partitioning, it tells me that I need a root partition. My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

First time to Linux - Partitioning problems

Hi,

I am trying to install the Mandrake Linux 9.0 dist and when it comes to the part on partitioning, it tells me that I need a root partition. My hard disk is already partitioned and I want to install Linux on a 13GB that already exists. The partition names (Ithink that's what they are) according to the Linux installation are /mnt/win_c and /mnt/win_d. It says I need a root partition to continue and to change the Mount Type to '/' or something like that. I tried to do that but I got an error saying that I needed to specify a filesystem type and just took me back to the box to change Moint Type.

Also, now since playing around with the file systems and stuff in the Linux setup, the D: partition doesn't appear in My Computer in Windows XP. I would prefer to have Linux installed on D: but if for some reason none of you guys know what I'm doing wrong could you give me a hand to get my D: back please

Thanks

Linux User
    ok, in order to install linux you need to give it a root partition, and a swap partition - if you have NO free hard drive space you can look into using something like Partition Magic to make some free space on your drive

You need to make a / partition of type ext2 or ext3 for linux to store its files on, similar to how windows uses the C drive
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    What partitions do you have and how are they used?

Just Joined!
    I have one partition that is used for Windows and another for stuff like web server, games and misc stuff. THanks for the help and I have saved majorwoos but I've seen some Linux installation horror stories on the net while I was looking for what I was doing wrong and I've decided to put off installing it until I get a second hard disk to back up my data as I have tax records and stuff that I can't lose.

Thanks for the help though guys

Just Joined!
    Just a question, does it need a swap partition? Because when I was playing and I got a root partition it asked if I wanted to continue anywy without a swap partition.

Just thought I'd ask

Linux User
    technically - no, IF you have enough RAM

but lets say you have 256MB of RAM and decided to somehow use all 256 (video editing, who knows what) your machine would come crashing to its knees, with no free memory - and worse yet, so swap file (a place on the disk to temporarily write things our of memory to until it needs them again)

Now for most people who get machines anymore coming with 256 or 512 MB its not a big deal - but windows DOES need it, or it will throw fits
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    But you should really have some partitions dedicated for linux, though, such as a root and a boot partition. This is so that you can run a true UNIX file system on them, such as ext3 that most linux installers use by default. It's going to be very hard installing linux on a hard drive with no free partitions.