Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm a n00b here, and one to linux too. I recently decided that it was time to learn about linux, and so downloaded mandrake 10.1.... Everythings running ok, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boot Loader

Hi, I'm a n00b here, and one to linux too. I recently decided that it was time to learn about linux, and so downloaded mandrake 10.1....

Everythings running ok, and i can perform most tasks with a litttle help from online documentation, however, i have one question... Lilo frquently messes up, and i have to fix it. Is there any way i could use the windows bootloader to choose which OS to boot too? (Apart from having to fix Lilo, i prefer the windows bootloader anyway to lilo and grub)

My Xp is on my primary hdd, whilst mandrake is on the slave... have you guys got any suggestions?

~Ste

Linux Newbie
    i think u probably can. try googling this. it does have its own boot loader and u just got to edit the boot.ini i think. this is an example of what my boot.ini looks like. anyway try ntldr.
    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

Linux Engineer
    There are a few steps you have to take when you wish to use NTLDR to handle your boot requirements.

This link contains some pretty detailed instructions on what you need to do in order to achieve this.

It's fairly easy.

If you've already installed LILO, you have to remove it by typing lilo -u.

Then change your lilo.conf file as described in the link.

You'll then run the dd command (example is also in the link).

Copy the resulting file to a floppy (don't forget to mount first, then unmount after you've copied the file).

Boot into Windows then copy the file to the root directory of your hard drive there. Edit boot.ini as described in the link and you should be good to go.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    how about grub ...
    Portability is for people who cannot programme