Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've got a new computer with the msi 7093 board with a seagate 80 gb sata drive. all the linux installers i've tried including fedora core 3, ubuntu 4.1 and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux doesn't recognize sata drive on msi 7093 + amd64 3200

i've got a new computer with the msi 7093 board with a seagate 80 gb sata drive. all the linux installers i've tried including fedora core 3, ubuntu 4.1 and suse 9.1 personal don't recognize the hard drive.
    i tried loading the sata drivers from sil and promise but to no avail.
    i can run the live ubuntu cd which does manage to read some of the hardware but it also doesn't recognize the drive.
    is the version of linux i attempted too dated or am i missing something?
    don't know much on the raid 0/1 front and looking at some of the post it seems to be the problem. and plus most have it working.
    i got the sil 3114 driver from the silicon image site (after a search pointed that i would need it) but don't know what to do with it - tried the scripts on install but they don't work.

SATA drives set up in regular fashion (i.e. not RAID) will be detected. I can't really help you with RAID.

On a side note, the Linux distros you're trying (except Fedora Core 3) are a bit out of date, although I'm not sure if that's actually part of your problem. I've had no trouble setting up a regular SATA drive with SuSE 9.2, 9.3 or Ubuntu 5.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    thanks for the reply.

how do I determine if they are setup in the raid fashion?
    and if they are how can I go about changing the same.
    any links you can point out to me to read?

have a working windows xp on the machine and when i did try to install win2000, it read the hard disk fine.

Quote Originally Posted by antimoon
    thanks for the reply.

how do I determine if they are setup in the raid fashion?
    If you didn't do anything special other than plugging the drives into your motherboard, they *should* be set up in standard non-RAID fashion. You might try unplugging everything but the drive you're trying to install onto and see if it shows up.

have a working windows xp on the machine and when i did try to install win2000, it read the hard disk fine.
    It didn't ask for a driver floppy? Any time I've tried to install XP on a SATA drive I had to provide it with drivers.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    If you didn't do anything special other than plugging the drives into your motherboard, they *should* be set up in standard non-RAID fashion. You might try unplugging everything but the drive you're trying to install onto and see if it shows up.
    I would try it. Actually there is this message I've seen wrt the drive not being on the first controller. Would try moving it to the first controller (if I find where it is).

It didn't ask for a driver floppy? Any time I've tried to install XP on a SATA drive I had to provide it with drivers.
    No it doesn't. Though I've a driver floppy from the vendor.