Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi i installed a harddrive as slave then i installed linux mandrake 10 and evry thing was ok then i change the harddisk to master becouse i want to add ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem when i change hard disk to master

hi
    i installed a harddrive as slave then i installed linux mandrake 10 and evry thing was ok then i change the harddisk to master becouse i want to add another windows harddisk but when i boot from linux as master the system con't be finish and had a message says that con't able to mount root partition or like this >>>
    how can i solve this problem
    thanks for you

sounds like you have inadvertantly changed the name of your hard disk. The name is something like /dev/hda followed by a number that is the partition number. By changing the posiotion of your hard disk you have changed the name, so you need to give the correct name in your grub.coinf (assuming you use grub and not lilo). For more details on grub, see the tutorial section. If you use Lilo, do a search on that.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

hda PRIMARY MASTER
    hdb PRIMARY SLAVE
    hdc SECONDARY MASTER
    hdd SECONDARY SLAVE

Just Joined!
    thank's for all
    do i have to change any thing in " fstab " file or just change in grub or lilo!!!
    why linux don't correct it automatically???

right now it's doing exactly what you've told it to do and that's making it look in a place where it no longer exists. you should need to update your bootloader to point to the right place, and yes you'll need to change fstab also, it can't mount the partition during boot if it doesn't know where it is.

Just Joined!
    thanks >>> i have another question please!!!
    i read about installing dual boot on dual harddrive and i don't understand what the meaning of "map" .. is it like "MBR" or it's other thing

if you're talking about grub, then the map function (within grub) allows you to make a hard disk that is not the first one, appear to be the first one. Now, you may wonder why on earth you'd want to do this. Well, it turns out that operating systems from a certain large American company needs to have its product on the first hard disk drive. So, if you have Uncle Bill's wonder product on your PC and it is NOT on the first hard disk drive, then you'll need to map it so that it appears to be on the first disk drive.

For further on this subject, see the general tutorial section for a post about solving boot problems with grub.

have fun

Nerderello

ps. Oh yes, just remembered. the Master Boor Record (mbr) is the 512 bytes at the very begining of each hard disk drive. It is to code in this zone that your BIOS will pass control of your PC to when booting up . You can decide which hard disk drive's mbr is used by setting it in your BIOS.

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    thank's Nerderello i saw it and it long and wonderfull

Quote Originally Posted by Nerderello
    Oh yes, just remembered. the Master Boor Record (mbr) is the 512 bytes at the very begining of each hard disk drive.
    it's technical name is sector 0, although we know it as the MBR

Just Joined!
    i saw the general tutorial section for a post about solving boot problems with grub. and i find my problem in "Grub Error messages" section which is the following:
    {
    6 : Mismatched or corrupt version of stage1/stage2
    This error is returned if the install command points to
    incompatible or corrupt versions of the stage1 or stage2. It can't
    detect corruption in general, but this is a sanity check on the
    version numbers, which should be correct. }
    but i don't understand the solution >>what must i do to solve the problem above
    thanks else

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast