Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying to install Mandrake/mandriva linux on my system. I have the general concept of how to do it, I just need a few questions answered. Mostly, I'm having ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hello, New guy here. First install.

Hi, I'm trying to install Mandrake/mandriva linux on my system. I have the general concept of how to do it, I just need a few questions answered.

Mostly, I'm having trouble repartitioning my hard drive, namely the fact that I can't find a program that will do it. I can't get Fdisk to work, I can't afford the full version of PM and DrakeX won't let me resize my windows partition. Are there any other ways to do this or am I stuck?

From there on I'm pretty much ok on, except for when it comes to what partitions linux needs. Thanks in advance.

Linux Engineer
    when you boot up the install cd, try cfdisk from the cli. p will show you the partition table. wipe it and create a new one. You will need at least two partions, 1 for swap, so when you create a new one you will have to make sure that you set its type for swap, and another for /, which will be your root partition, make sure it is set to linux type. w saves and quits cfdisk. You may want to look up the commands for cfdisk more in full, but there is a help command that will output all of the commands that you will need and its pretty intuitive

you will then have to make your filesystems. Easy...e.g., if you are on /dev/hda and your swap is 1 and your linux part is 2
    Code:
    mkswap /dev/hda1 && mke2fs -j /dev/hda2
    good luck partitioning!
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Newbie

fdisk

Why doesn't fdisk work???? Any error messages????
    My New years Resolution is 1280x1024

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    No error messages on fdisk. It just randomly quits on me before I can do anything, then my system will reboot. I'd go in and check but no changes to my windows partition.

So, really the only linux partitions I really need are root and swap?

I'll see if I can decipher all that and edit in my results.

Edit: Nothing. DrakeX says my hd has bad sectors on it and it can't change the partitions.

In XP, do a chkdsk. Not sure if it asks this before or after the check starts, but it should ask you if you want to run chkdsk after the next reboot.
    Say yes, and reboot, that should tell you if you have any bad sectors on your hd.

Hope this helps.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Did that,it says I have 4 bad sectors, and it can't repair them. So, looks like I'm SOL on linux. It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't run Knoppix for a couple of weeks. I have seen the top of the mountain, and it is good. Eh well, if I can get a job, I was thinking about building a better computer anyway.

Sorry to hear that.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Yeah, it sucks. Oh well, I'l just scew around with knoppix for a while.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

If your willing to give up on your Windows Installation - or the next time you re-install, use a good low level cleaner to remove all the partition information and clear the rails - FDisk does not. And the low-level reformat should wipe out those bad sectors, or at least give you a better shot at repairing them (Both are Free).
    http://www.killdisk.com/
    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php

You may also wan't to look into Co-Linux (also Free) ... if you want to keep your current Windows installation - although running other Linux Distro's under Co-Linux does require some tinkering (see 2nd link).
    http://www.colinux.org/?section=home
    http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...forum_id=37489

Just Joined!
    Hmm, the second option seems do-able. I'll check it out.

Sadly I have to keep windows. Not my choice mind you, if I had my way I'd be m$ free. But, I still fall into the "my house my rules" category.