Find the answer to your Linux question:
Right now I'm running Linux Mandrake 9.1 and trying to reinstall Windows 2000 and run dual-boot. Problem is I'm a super linux newbie and I can't figure out a way ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows Boot Disk Under Linux

Right now I'm running Linux Mandrake 9.1 and trying to reinstall Windows 2000 and run dual-boot. Problem is I'm a super linux newbie and I can't figure out a way to unzip boot disk files. Everytime I've tried to install a program in Linux I lose it and can't find where its installed and how to bring it up.

Thanks in advance

Linux Guru
    Unzip? What is it that you want to unzip? Usually you just write the boot disk images directly to the floppy ("cat boot.img >/dev/fd0" in Linux; you'll need the rawrite program to do it in Winbloze).

Just Joined!
    Sorry, should mention that Linux is the only OS on the system (reformatted Windows partition), so it has to be done under Linux and doing anything under Linux except surf the Internet is pretty dang confusing for me.

All the boot disk images I've seen are executable and won't work in Linux (?). I'm confused as hell.

Linux Guru
    What is it that you want to do, exactly, and what boot disk images have you downloaded?

Just Joined!
    I'm trying to install Windows 2000 on my fresh windows partition. When I boot, I can't access my BIOS for some reason, it goes straight to Lilo so I can't boot from the Windows 2000 CD. As for boot disk images, none because I can't run an executable so whats the point, unless I'm wrong. Again, I really shouldn't be in Linux as I don't know what I'm doing.

Appreciate the responses

Linux Guru
    Oh, you wanted Windows boot disks. Then I get it (sorry, I never look at the subject of a thread... =) ). Unfortunately, then I can't help you, since I have basically no idea how Windows' installation process works these days.
    However, it the binary that you are referring to is a Windows PE file (ie. a .exe file), then, no, you can't run it under Linux. Linux only runs Linux binaries, not Windows binaries, for natural reasons. You can try to run it under wine, though, if you have it installed.

Just Joined!
    You'll get all you want here.

http://www.bootdisk.com/