Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, This is my first install by myself, I've watched a friend do it, but that was a while ago. I have Suse 9.3. My biggest question is about hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie. First install of suse 9.3

Hi, This is my first install by myself, I've watched a friend do it, but that was a while ago. I have Suse 9.3. My biggest question is about hard drive partitioning.

I have a 60GB drive, it is partitioned into 55.1GB with 19.8GB free, and a 760MB portion left over from a previous linux install/delete. I am running Win XP pro currently. Do I need to section off part of the 19GB portion before trying to install suse? Or can I do that during the install? Also, would it be wise to use the 760MB as a boot portion? I appreciate any help given, thanks!

You don't need to partition before the install; when you get to the screen that lets you pick what software you want, etc. then click on Partitioning. You can go into the Expert mode from there and do anything you want to your partitions.

The installer may actually automagically come up with a good partitioning scheme, so you may not have to do anything; it will definitely set up your dual-boot configuration.

I usually use a separate /boot partition because it makes multi-boot systems easier to configure in some ways, but it's not mandatory.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help!

Just Joined!
    I'm having trouble getting suse to install from the cd. I burned the cue file onto the cd and when i reboot, it doesn't take hold, win xp just starts up. Do i need to make a floppy to boot from? I switched the boot sequence to look at the cd drive first, but no luck still.

What do you mean by "burned the cue file"? Did you somehow get a disk image file (like an .iso)? If so, did you burn the cd as an image, or just put the file on the disk? You would need to burn the cd as an image for the install to work.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    It is a disk image, when unzipped, it has a .bin and a .cue file. I burned the .cue file as an image using nero.

Erm, what do you mean you burned a image cd? 9.3 is only available in the boxed sets at the moment, where all you need to do is bung in the first cd or dvd make sure that the cd drive is at the top of the BIOS booh options, and the cd will boot.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by willtell
    It is a disk image, when unzipped, it has a .bin and a .cue file. I burned the .cue file as an image using nero.
    Sure you'll find a bin file, but you don't need to unzip it... Leave it as is (in iso format), and burn it like an iso file (the way it is meant to be). Then it will be bootable. Now you're just wasting your media
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **