Find the answer to your Linux question:
I remember doing an install of linux, but there were only 2 files that went somewhere in a windows folder... This was just to try it out without fully partitioning... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lookin to tryout Linux but not do full install

I remember doing an install of linux, but there were only 2 files that went somewhere in a windows folder... This was just to try it out without fully partitioning... I've forgotten how to do this can anyone point me in the right direction...

Thankx in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

Linux User
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!

Yes it looks familiar but can i do this with xp

Hey thank you very much i remember seeing this, but now im lookin to do this with mandrake, do i follow the same setup, and also can this be done with window$ xp???? i believe xp is ntsf so im not sure....

Thankx again in advance!!!!!!!

Linux Guru
    No! You should never use linux on a NTFS partition! Linux can read NTFS partitions, but NTFS is a closed standard, so everything has been reverse-engineered. That also means that write support for NTFS in linux is very dangerous, and is an almost perfectly sure way to permanently damage that file system.
    However, you should really do a full install to have a unix compatible file system.

Linux User
    Dolda is right - NTFS(write) + linux = lava (remember that wassy?)

Anyhow, try using partition magic to resize your partition, and then dual boot - if you dont like linux, no real harm done.
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Enthusiast
    So yeah, back in the Quake2 days I sucked. Okay, I still suck. But I would fall in the lava like 15 times a game, and every time I did that I had this key bound to "lava = bad" . . . mmm quake
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    I believe that the newest version of SuSE (8.1) has an evaluation version that completely runs off of a bootable cd. Give that a shot.
    ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/live-eval-8.1/

Linux Engineer

speed

I remember doing a partition-less installation the first time I got linux. Actually, that's a lie. A friend of mine did it for me and back then I didn't even know what a paritition was. Anyhow, speed is dramatically affected when you do this so be warned.

bp
    The best things in life are free.