Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I installed Xandros on my XP drive, and wanted to use 8 gigs for the linux partition. For some reason, it defaulted to 1.5 gigs, and now I'm out of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Resizing dual-boot partitions after install

I installed Xandros on my XP drive, and wanted to use 8 gigs for the linux partition. For some reason, it defaulted to 1.5 gigs, and now I'm out of room. Is there a simple way I can increase the Linux partition?

Help, anyone?

Can't anyone help me? Do I just need a Partition manager like PartitionMagic?

What is the size of the hard drive you have.
    I don't really think there is an easy way to resize the partitions without Partition Magic, even then I am not sure.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Run a Knoppix CD, and use Qparted . That should do the trick... Nice & graphical, what do you want more?
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Here's my drive in Partition Magic:

But I can't seem to combine the extra space due to where its at. At this point, I'm totally willing to wipe Xandros and start over. What should I do?

P.S. Is Qparted in Knoppix 3.7?

That is what I would do, wipe Xandros. And using Partition Magic, resize Windows to what you want. And don't format the new partition, let Xandros do that.
    Hope this helps.
    And yes qtparted is in Knoppix 3.7, but why bother if you have PM.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    I would first try with qparted... If you want to run Linux, you'd like to run open source, right? PM is not like that I'd say, but anyway .

Look at it like this: if it doesn't work with qparted, you can still reinstall your Xandros install. So it won't hurt trying qparted, will it? It will certainly handle your Linux partitions better than PM does I think. (No offense, I like PM a lot, but hey, I'm trying to make the mental switch ).

Ok, so I'm gonna go ahead and wipe Xandros (it just feels cleaner, and plus I don't know where I put my Knoppix 3.7 disk, and I'm to lazy to look).

So what exactly should I do? How do I uninstall Xandros? Should I combine all the unallocated space or what? At this point, I'm honestly clueless...

Linux Engineer
    Boot with the PM cd if you can, wipe all the linux partitions, and move/resize the Windows partitions to where you want them. Then reboot and install Xandros again.

Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Boot with the PM cd if you can, wipe all the linux partitions, and move/resize the Windows partitions to where you want them. Then reboot and install Xandros again.
    So, when I'm done, I should have one Windows partition and unallocated space equal to what I want my linux partition to be?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast