Find the answer to your Linux question:
During RedHat 9.0 installation ( after monitor & keyboard checking ), my monitor goes on standby mode, even restarting installation process from the beginning doesn't work. In other word... it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Monitor goes to standby mode during installation

During RedHat 9.0 installation ( after monitor & keyboard checking ), my monitor goes on standby mode, even restarting installation process from the beginning doesn't work. In other word... it just hang without any display .Well.. if RedHat 9.0 giving problem... version 8.0 is worst than that, it doesn't load the installation process at all.... it just keep reading ( from CD-ROM ) without no display. Could it be graphic card or monitor issue ?

Nvidia Geforce FX 5200

Many thanks

Linux Engineer
    An unorthodoxe question: do you have similar problems with Windows? Or didn't the pc have Windows installed before? I've had stuff like that recently, but only in Windows, because it was 3D-related, in Linux there was no problem at all .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!

Windows related issue ? hmm....

I reformat the entire hard disk and installed Windows XP ( with Service Pack 2 ). I allocate about 5 GB for Linux installation in the same hard disk. When 1st 3 attempts doesn't work... i reformat again the hard disk and try with Linux installation 1st.. same problem

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Ok... Can you try with a desktop-oriented distro, for example Fedora Core 3 or SuSE? Or maybe you have Knoppix, can you run that from the cd and see what it does?

So in Windows you don't have any problems at all? Fx 5200 is not that recent, there should be at least a 2D driver for it...
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!

Windows .. no issue at all

Nope.. no problem with Windows. Ok, I have Knoppix.. i'll give a try

Re: Monitor goes to standby mode during installation

Quote Originally Posted by BladeMasta
    Could it be graphic card or monitor issue ?
    Certainly sounds like it. I am not familiar with RH but there must be a text based program there that enables you to change the settings. Do you know how to get to the Command Line by swithching the Runlevel? OS's I'm familiar with use Runlevel 3 and enable you to Boot to that level by typing in 3 which puts you in text mode where you can take care of problems like this.

If you continues to have this problem with whatever OS you settle on you may find it more helpful if you post in the relevant OS forum.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?