Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
has anyone tryed Gentoo. i was curious what everyone thought about the installation process. it seems quite difficult to me but im still pretty new to this stuff....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gentoo

has anyone tryed Gentoo. i was curious what everyone thought about the installation process. it seems quite difficult to me but im still pretty new to this stuff.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Its really simple just follow the install guide on there site to the word and you cant go wrong. I installed it awhile ago from stage one, Then compiled xfree86 and kde and it took nearly 2 days on a XP2200+. Here is a site for some CFLAGS you can add to your make.conf for optimization its a start -> http://www.freehackers.org/gentoo/gc...g_gcc3opt.html , I found some better ones from Goole but i didnt bookmark it.

serious it took almost 2 days! dang that means that will take like 10 days on my computer that i was goin to put it on. how about stage 3 does that look alot easier. its suppose to be but i havent really looked i have the live cd running on my computer but i dont know where to go from there. (i guess i will have to read the install stuff on there site. but its so long

well thanks for the response. what does everyone else thing.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you start from stage 3 it installs the binarys for you so you dont have to compile anything (Untill you install something). I only started from stage one to see if i noticed any differnce. But i havent botherd running any benchmarks yet but it seems stable.

The only real difference between stage 1 and stage 2, is that stage 1 does the bootstrap. Basically, in stage 1 you have to compile binutils, gcc, gettext, and glibc. Stage 2 uses precompiled versions. They're all pretty easy to do considering the extensive documentation.

And when you start from stage 1, EVERYTHING is compiled with your CFLAGS, which (if you set them ) will optimize them for your machine. The install is very easy, as long as you follow the instructions. Gentoo was the first distro that I ran seriously and I haven't switched since I installed it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    You guys talk about Stages and what not, but does that mean there are more then one cd? Cause i just got Gentoo 1.2 from almostfreelinux.com and only got ONE cd from them. Is that correct or should I be worried? I tried installing it straight from the cd without a boot disk, but that plan didn't go over all too well. So I guess i have to fix my boot drive now.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

This is a newbie question but...what are the CFLAGS?

and yeah, it's one cd. except, I think the final release of 1.4 actually has a second cd...

The idea of setting CFLAGS is to change the way the compiler works, Like what architecture the programs for, And you can turn compiler warnings on, And add things specific to your prccessor which is code optimization. Read some more here -> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3....mize%20Options

EDIT: And stages are just how much of gentoo you want to build, Stage 1 is start from the begining. Stage 2 is when the toolchain has been built for you you just install the main system and stage 3 is when the whole system has allready been built so you just install the binarys like a RH install.

So how would I define the optimizations? Do I run them as arguments on the bootstrap.sh command?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast