Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All I'm new to Linux and I just purchased a Dell Dimension 2400. I wanted to dual boot with WinXP and RH9. I made room for Linux on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red Hat 9 and Dell Dimension 2400

Hello All

I'm new to Linux and I just purchased a Dell Dimension 2400. I wanted to dual boot with WinXP and RH9. I made room for Linux on the hard drive and then I downloaded the three ISO images from Red Hat's website.

When I try to boot from the first CD, the computer boots, I press F12 and select 'boot from CD'. Nothing happens. It says 'press F1 to try again and F2 to get the boot menu'.

Does anyone know how to fix this? What did I do wrong?

Thanks

Eric Windham

Just Joined!
    does your cd writer support RAW writing? if it doesn't then the cd will not be bootable... or it could just have screwed up... use your windows system to make a boot diskette (floppy) and boot from that, it will then load the cd drivers and start the installation... there are instructions on how to do this on the cd i belive...

good luck

Just Joined!
    Hey

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work. The boot disk windows made didn't recognize my cdrom's. I extracted the ISO files and made new cd's and the computer wouldn't boot from them either.

I used rawrite to make a Linux boot disk. When it loaded it asked me where the packages to be installed were. I selected 'cd-rom' and it couldn't read the cd again.

Any other suggestions?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    is the cdrom drive internal or is it pcmcia? or something else entireley?

Just Joined!
    it's internal.

I have a DVD-Rom and a DVD+R/CD-RW