Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm doing an install of Linux from Scratch, and while compiling binutils, I got the error: Code: ../../sources/binutils-2.15.91.0.2/binutils/ar.c:148: undefined reference to `yyparse' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make[3]: *** ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Installing Linux From Scratch

I'm doing an install of Linux from Scratch, and while compiling binutils, I got the error:
    Code:
    ../../sources/binutils-2.15.91.0.2/binutils/ar.c:148: undefined reference to `yyparse'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[3]: *** [ar] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/cplinux/binutils-build/binutils'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/cplinux/binutils-build/binutils'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/cplinux/binutils-build/binutils'
    make: *** [all-binutils] Error 2
    I installed bison to try and fix the yyparse, but it didn't seem to do anything
    Any ideas as to how to fix this?

Linux Engineer
    Is this Binutils pass 1, and are you using the same version of Binutils the LFS book suggests?

I just recently got LFS up and running, and Binutils failed in the first pass (building the temporary system). I don't know why, but I simply ignored it and got a working LFS system the next day without ever having to compile it in the first pass. I probably should've tried to fix it, but oh well, it works now.

What's important is getting it to work on the actual system, not the temporary one, I think.

EDIT: However, I got a different error than you. I got something along the lines of "no: command not found." So you should still look into the problem, ignoring it like I did might not fix it.

Linux User
    yeah, this is the first pass. I googled yyparse, and found it was part of bison. I instaled bison, and that didn't fix anything. OUt of curiosity, what distro were you using to install LFS?

Linux Engineer
    Install bison on your host. Do this by compiling it yourself, I always get that even when the bison packages are installed, which is why I say compile it yourself.

Linux User
    All right, I only installed the rpms, I'll try compliing it myself when I get home

Linux User
    ok, i tried to install ALFS from teh livecd, but it returned an error and stoped about two hours in.

when I ran checkit.sh, it returned that the .xml file did not validate (ill post the exact error in a bit, when I get a chance to try it again)

has anyone successfully installed ALFS? and did you have similar problems?