Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi , i am a newbie to linux .........i have a system on which FC3 linux is installed and then i installed windows XP on it........now i am unable to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

booting problem

hi ,

i am a newbie to linux .........i have a system on which FC3 linux is installed and then i installed windows XP on it........now i am unable to boot to my linux partition ....the system directly boots in to widows xp ...is there any way to boot in to linux (without using floppy drive)other than re-installing it ........

plz do help me

with regards
    harish

did you request to install "grub" as your boot loader during your linux install?

If you did, have you installed or re-installed Windows since you did the Linux install?

If you did not install grub, or you have installed, re-installed windows, then you will need to redo the grub install. You can either boot, using diskette or CDROM to get Linux and then install grub from the command prompt (enter "info grub" to find out how, or read the tutorial about solving boot problems in the general tutorial section of this site), or you can redo the Fedora install and make sure that you say that you want grub to be put onto your master boot record (mbr), this is probably the easiest and should leave you with a PC that boots into a pretty grub boot menu that gives you the options to boot into linux or windows.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Re: booting problem

Quote Originally Posted by pop_harish
    then i installed windows XP on it........now i am unable to boot to my linux partition ....the system directly boots in to widows xp ..
    Just so you know, any Windows installation will always overwrite the Master Boot Record which is where your Linux boot loader is also installed. This is why for ease of setups on multi-boot installations it is recommended that Windows be installed first. Just makes things a bit easier.

Nerderello's info should get you back on track.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

thanks for the, Rong. I seem to be going through a phase of reading what I think is there rather than the real question being asked.

Sorry folks.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Quote Originally Posted by Nerderello
    thanks for the, Rong. I seem to be going through a phase of reading what I think is there rather than the real question being asked.

Sorry folks.

Nerderello
    Actually you did answer the question. I just answered the 'other' one and you got the harder of the two!
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Just Joined!
    hi,

thanx for the help folks................but how can i reinstall my grub......on which FC3 cd's do i find grub........

regards
    harish

You don't have to reinstall the package...you just need to reinstall grub to your mbr (semantic difference, I guess).

Bootup your fedora in rescue mode if you only have the install cd, otherwise use your boot floppy.
    (when installing using rescue, be sure to chroot the linux partition that is mounted as /).

Then a simple
    Code:
    grub-install hd0
    should do the trick (assuming that's the device you want to boot from).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    hi..

thanx for alll the help folks......

regards
    harish