Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi every one, I have Redhat9 in my box. I am kinda new to linux so have been experimenting with various disros, installing a few without touching the RH9 partitions. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Manual boot only

Hi every one,

I have Redhat9 in my box. I am kinda new to linux so have been experimenting with various disros, installing a few without touching the RH9 partitions.

Currently I have removed the new adistro I added, but the problem is now I am not getting the GRUB splash screen with the choice of OS. ( I guess, I made an error in not making the new distro share /boot with my RH9 )

Since I know where my /boot partition (containing my RH9 kernel etc.) is in my hard disk. I jus do
    root->kernel->initrd->boot
    and start my system.

I wud like to restore the usual boot screen setup though, can anyone help me on how to go abt it.

Khader69

read the tutorial in the, general tutorial section, about solving boot problems with grub. Near the bootom is an example of /boot/grub/grub.conf looks like.

nb. you will need to be the root user to edit this (/boot/grub/grub.conf) file.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    I'll read the section u had pointed out.

Another thing, editing grub.conf is not an issue. As a matter of fact grub.cont has the right contents. (My guess is ) Its jus that when my system boots it is unable to locate grub.conf which is in my /boot.

So i get a grub> prompt on bootup. And I do a manual boot seq.

The problem might lie in my MBR which thinks /boot is in another location( where the /boot of the other linux distro used to reside).

Khader69

then all you need to do is re-run the setup/install , telling grub stage 1 (that's the bit that lives on thembr) where it can find the /boot/grub folder (where stage2 and grub.conf lives).

have fun

Nerderello

Just Joined!
    Hey Nerderello,

Jus read your tutorial on boot problems. Nice one. I wud recommend it 2 any1 with boot problems.

Have tried them out to *fix* my system. But am not sure if it is fixed (No... it not becoz to tutorial wasn't correct, its jus that I HATE REBOOTING! )

Khader69

[ Strange: I noticed the word "u r" (w/o space in betw 'u' and 'r' ) in my message change to "you" when I hit preview. ]

well, here's hoping that it has worked.

If not, come back to me with the symptoms and I'll see if I can be of any further help.

Nerderello