Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK, after much searching, fiddling, and frustration I end up here. When I install slackware I get an error for my slave IBM DeskStar 40gb hd that says something about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

IBM Deskstar 40gb seek timeout error

OK, after much searching, fiddling, and frustration I end up here.

When I install slackware I get an error for my slave IBM DeskStar 40gb hd that says something about seek timeout DMA error or whatnot. In other distributions such as Redhat it wont it just hangs completely when it tries to read the hd. FreeBSD also will not install. I've tried disabling UDMA, changing jumpers, partitioning the HD, tried to do a firmware update but it said the HD didnt need a firmware update even though the prog I downloaded from IBM's website said it did.

If anyone knows anything at all or has any suggestions please lemme know. thx

Linux Enthusiast
    it might be a legitimately bad drive. Mine did that a lot, would crash the system a lot, and it was just going bad.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux User
    nah the hd works perfectly in windoze I have transfered files to it and ran them from it. its a slave drive and im not even trying to install linux on it. but the installs for the linux and fbsd hang when they come to the HD.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    oh, unplug it then. You can always try to plug it back in after install
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux User
    tried that, i installed redhat doing that but soon as i plug it back in and reboot it redhat hangs again when it tries to bring up the hd.