Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got the Debian 3.0 Woody, and tried to install it approximately 5-6 times. Each time I got farther and farther. I would always get only the minimum required to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

What should I do?

I got the Debian 3.0 Woody, and tried to install it approximately 5-6 times. Each time I got farther and farther. I would always get only the minimum required to run Linux.
    Each time I would get some sort of problem, and I would be stuck with a terminal interface.
    I'm VERY annoyed because Linux is never going to work. What should I do? I don't have money to buy new CD's, and I can't wait for the long download.

Linux Newbie
    you don't even have $2 for cheap cd's? well if I were you I would head off to my library because I know that somewhere they have a copy of red hat linux bible with a copy of cds in the back. (this beening faster then downloads and cd's off the internet.) and after I have what ever linux is at the library I would just use wget to get what I want. but thats me, im sure that there are better options.

Re: What should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade
    I'm VERY annoyed because Linux is never going to work. What should I do? I don't have money to buy new CD's, and I can't wait for the long download.
    There are many, many more distributions that are much newer and easier to get a graphical environment than Debian Woody. Woody is well over 3 years old now and I wouldn't recommend it for desktop use.

Try SuSE, Mepis, Fedora Core, Mandriva, or any of the much newer distros out there before you write off Linux completely.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Yeah, I tried installing once and my display wouldnt work, I think the xfree packages were from 2001

I do believe the person asked a "question" and not an "opinion". If he wants to use Debian 3.0 Woody, then let him use it.

Anyway I can easily solve this problem

You see when you are installing it you should get this message near the end of the installation...........

xconfiguration will now start x to test your configuration
    You will now be left with 2 options "ok" and "skip"

Choose "ok"

You will then get a glimpse of the desktop screen and a message will appear asking you if you want to run X during start up. Choose yes. Then just take the cd out, reboot and you will then get to the window screen instead of the terminal. Just type "root" in the user section and whatever password you selected during start up.[/quote]

Linux Engineer
    Just got an idea: if your xfree-drivers aren't included, use the vesa-drivers or vga-drivers, they useally work anyway which display you have.