Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there guys... ive got a Compaq E500 laptop and unfortunatly it does not have a cddrive nymore..altho it does have a floppy drive and i also have an xternal ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LAPTOP CD-lesss!!!..HELP

Hi there guys...
    ive got a Compaq E500 laptop and unfortunatly it does not have a cddrive nymore..altho it does have a floppy drive and i also have an xternal DVDRW drive connectable via USB.. now my question is that is there ny way that i can install linux or use a bootable linux since i dont have a internal CD drive and i dont think i can boot frm the USB dvd drive? is there ny solution?
    SOS :P
    thnx in advance
    Neosis

Linux Newbie
    Maybe you could get a distro that fits on a floppy w/ usb support. Try distrowatch and search for floppy. I think that it would be a complicated process to boot from the floppy then get stuff off the usb drive :P g/l
    Powered by Gentoo
    never ever ever use the hardened option in make.conf!

Re: LAPTOP CD-lesss!!!..HELP

Quote Originally Posted by Neosis
    Hi there guys...
    ive got a Compaq E500 laptop and unfortunatly it does not have a cddrive nymore..altho it does have a floppy drive and i also have an xternal DVDRW drive connectable via USB.. now my question is that is there ny way that i can install linux or use a bootable linux since i dont have a internal CD drive and i dont think i can boot frm the USB dvd drive? is there ny solution?
    SOS :P
    thnx in advance
    Neosis
    Linux works just fine with USB devices. Download an OS you'd like to try, burn the CD and give it a whirl.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Just Joined!
    thnx fer the tip gwalters.. really appreciate it.. but im kind of a noob:P...
    i was wondering.. is there ny way i have a image on my harddrive or all the files n i can boot from a floppy and install using the harddrive image? i mite use fedora core 3, or a mandrake 10.1, please give me tips on how i could do this. thnx fer all the help n once again i really appreaciate it.