Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to dual-boot win xp and ubuntu on my computer. i already have win xp installed and have a blank, unformatted 10gig partition for ubuntu. i would like the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual-boting xp and ubuntu, lilo vs grub

I want to dual-boot win xp and ubuntu on my computer. i already have win xp installed and have a blank, unformatted 10gig partition for ubuntu. i would like the computer to automatically boot windows and only give me the option of going to linux if i have a special floppy inserted at boot (this is how one of my friends has his box set up). i'm assumiong that this floppy would be a grub or lilo bootdisk. which of these bootloaders should i be using, and how do I make a bootdisk for them in windows?

Re: dual-boting xp and ubuntu, lilo vs grub

Quote Originally Posted by binkgle
    I want to dual-boot win xp and ubuntu on my computer. i already have win xp installed and have a blank, unformatted 10gig partition for ubuntu. i would like the computer to automatically boot windows and only give me the option of going to linux if i have a special floppy inserted at boot (this is how one of my friends has his box set up). i'm assumiong that this floppy would be a grub or lilo bootdisk. which of these bootloaders should i be using, and how do I make a bootdisk for them in windows?
    How about this:

Install Linux without any boot loader, i.e. GRUB or LILO. Instead create a Linux bootable floppy with ubuntu (which is always recommended anyway in case a bootloader gets corrupted). Set your BIOS so it always checks for the floppy drive before the HDD. Then when you want to load Linux you just pop in the floppy.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Just Joined!
    does the installation process give me the option of creating the boot disk? should i have pre-formatted the floppy?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by binkgle
    does the installation process give me the option of creating the boot disk? should i have pre-formatted the floppy?
    I do not and have not used ubuntu but I've never run across any OS that does not have the provision to create a bootable as well as rescue Floppy disks. It well also be able to format the floppy in the linux format. Since there are numerous linux format types you should do some research to decide which format you want to use. Common formats these days are ext3 and rieserfs.

And the more you research and learn about Linux the better the results.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Just Joined!

Thumbs up Ntldr

Quote Originally Posted by binkgle View Post
    You can use Windows Bootloader itself. It will have one more option at bootup. Choose that to boot linux. Try searching for "booting using NTLDR"
    Last edited by devils casper; 11-08-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: removed site link

Quote Originally Posted by atoztoa View Post
    You can use Windows Bootloader itself. It will have one more option at bootup. Choose that to boot linux. Try searching for "booting using NTLDR"
    Hi and Welcome !

This thread is very old. Please post suggestions in a bit recent threads.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First