Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok can you guys help me get my HD back to normal? I downloadedPartitionMagic, and attempted to make Linux and swap partitions on the C drive. During every reboot when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

screwed myself when I tried dual booting.

ok can you guys help me get my HD back to normal?

I downloadedPartitionMagic, and attempted to make Linux and swap partitions on the C drive. During every reboot when I tried this, it failed to do it correctly. So I tried my second hard drive and it worked. I had Linux, swap, and NTFS/HIDDEN partitions. I couldnt get anything from the hard drive in windows (it was connected) and it had problems booting into Linux. So I used the knoppix live cd on it and deleted the linux/swap partitions, still no luck. I changed the type of the partition (NTFS/HIDDEN) to Win95 FAT 32, it didnt work either.

Does anyone know how to get my HD back to normal?

edit- now the partition is showing up as Hidden W95 FAT32
    edit 2- I opened QTParted and made the partition 'Active' but it wont let me make it not hidden.

Just Joined!
    Could someone help? Please?

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure if you are asking 1) how to make your c: drive useable or 2) how to get your Windows working again. If getting into Windows is the problem, you might try using the Windows install or recovery CD and doing 'fix /mbr'. You should research that command since I'm not sure if that's exactly right. But if I understand correctly, you tried to change the filesystem type of the Windows partition from NTFS to Fat? If that's the case, there probably is nothing that can be done for your Windows. Changing the format or filesystem type (but for a few exceptions like ext2-ext3) causes loss of all data. If you only want to get your C: drive useable again by both Linux and Windows, you should be able to use fdisk to make it a FAT partition.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I want to fix my second hard drive ( G: ) so it wont be 'hidden' anymore. windows is fine and I gave up on dual boot.

Linux Guru
    I'd suggest the following:

>Boot to Linux, either with the Knoppix CD or Linux on your hard drive (if it's still there)

>Open a terminal screen or switch to a terminal with ctrl-alt-F4 (get back to GUI with ctrl-alt-F7) and then enter:
    Code:
    fdisk -l | less
    fdisk is a basic partitioning tool, but (unlike QParted or PartitionMagic) it can't change a partition without losing the data on it. But with the -l (that's a lowercase 'L') you will only 'list' the partitions allowing you to analyse things visually. By 'piping' (with the '|' symbol, which is probably on the same key as the '\') the 'fdisk -l' to the command 'less', you will be able to scroll up and down with the arrow keys to view all partitions on all drives. (hit 'q' to quit from 'less')

>You should be able to see all partitions, grouped by drive, along with drive device name and geometry and all partitions should be shown with device name, size and type.

>Once you have identified (hopefully) which partitions on which drives are hidden, you will be prepared to run fdisk on the drive (for example 'fdisk /dev/hdd' note absence of a partition number following the drive letter) and there may be a flag for hiding a partition , or maybe you will need to change the filesystem type to make the hidden partition visible. Within fdisk, m gets help and q exits. Act carefully and things should be okay.

I hope this is helpful.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

[quote="peaceofpi"]Could someone help? Please?[/quote

I had the same problem with RH7.0, using PM, I quit using PM and used the disk druid that was part of the Set-up, it took a little trial and error, i was newbie than, and still today, just got back into linux. Does your distro have a "disk druid, very similar to PM. If so try it.

[quote="peaceofpi"]Could someone help? Please?[/quote

I had the same problem with RH7.0, using PM, I quit using PM and used the disk druid that was part of the Set-up, it took a little trial and error, i was newbie than, and still today, just got back into linux. Does your distro have a "disk druid, very similar to PM. If so try it.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the help, ill post again when I gain access to the computer.

Just Joined!
    ok i've given up totally on dual booting.

I wiped my second hard drive clean of everything, I assume, and it still doesnt work. I used PartitionMagic in windows to make it not hidden and set it to active. When it restarts and does its thing, it appears to do what I told it to, yet it continues to be hidden and not active.

Anyone know what to do?

Linux Guru
    When I first started with Linux, I know I did some weird stuff and had some weird problems. Particularly with a 40Gb drive that I bought completely ignorant of the fact that none of my computers could handle that size. So in trying to get things to work, there were a couple of times I did the procedure on this page. To do it, you run a DOS program called debug which uses assembly language, but because of that, it works at a very fundamental level. I'd suggest making a bootable DOS floppy and copying debug onto it and then doing what it says on the web page AFTER disconnecting all hard drives except the one you want to wipe. It should restore your drive to its pristine condition.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast