Find the answer to your Linux question:
hie there i was wondering if anyone out there could give me a step by step procedure on how to install winamp on Fedora 3 linux. chao...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing winamp on linux

hie there
    i was wondering if anyone out there could give me a step by step procedure on how to install
    winamp on Fedora 3 linux.
    chao

You do not need to install Winamp on Linux, and I wouldn't recommend trying it. Some popular Linux media players are amaroK, JuK, and XMMS (looks just like Winamp). These should all be a suitable replacement for Winamp.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Problem using xmms

hie
    well i have a problem when i'm trying to use xmms to play my cds, i always get an called drive error and i don't know how to fix that up.

Linux Engineer
    What error do you get?

XMMS is pretty close to winamp, it can use it's skins etc.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Engineer
    I know winamp is ported to linux, but for example XMMS or beep-media-player is probably better (I haven't tested winamp on linux so I can't tell).

Linux Engineer
    Didn't know that it was ported, heh.

I don't think yoiu really need to run winamp on Linux when you have XMMS or the Beep Media Player (it's basically XMMS with gtk2, what makes it look nicer).
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Give us details of the CD error, we may get around it that way. Have you tried using Amarok? The current version is pretty much one of the best media players I've seen. Certainly the best on *nix.

Just Joined!

xmms

hie
    well the thing just prints out drive error when i try to play a CD. I hope i could give you more info, but thats the only thing that the player dislays. So as you can see i dont even know how to get around this one. I downloaded amarok and tried installing it, but it's refusing to do so, and tells me that i need additional packages to be installed so that i can then install my amarok. So guys i'm so stuck, any suggestions.

Just Joined!

Re: xmms

Quote Originally Posted by briantee
    hie
    well the thing just prints out drive error when i try to play a CD. I hope i could give you more info, but thats the only thing that the player dislays. So as you can see i dont even know how to get around this one. I downloaded amarok and tried installing it, but it's refusing to do so, and tells me that i need additional packages to be installed so that i can then install my amarok. So guys i'm so stuck, any suggestions.
    What distro are you using? Can you play your audio CDs from any other apps (like Gnome-CD or KsCD)?

Try adding yourself to audio and disk groups. Also check what device is your media player trying to use to play audio Cds. You may have to set it up to point to /dev/cdrom or so.

And about Winamp - it works under Linux (with Wine) but it has some problems (at least when I tried using it). Just get Beep Media Player and a default Winamp skin and you'll basically have a Winamp app

Linux Engineer
    Winamp can be ran without wine to,.. This seems like the right RPM: http://www.dawnload.net/alternative_....cfm#download:

About the /dev/cdrom thingy... First of all check if it exists. Most audio apps will look there first, and if you're using udev, a home-made symlink may automaticly be gone next time you boot. Try to see if you can configure the app to point to the right location if the symlink don't exist. Also check that you have the plugins capable of playing CDs...