Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi i decided to actually buy red hat 9 instead of downloading the disk images. But the computer i am trying to install it on has no floppy disk drive, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red Hat 9 Help

Hi i decided to actually buy red hat 9 instead of downloading the disk images. But the computer i am trying to install it on has no floppy disk drive, will i be able to boot up the instalation by booting from cdrom?

and any one know is red hat 9 is good, and what things you get with it, and if any one knows like a back door on how i can get onto AOL Broadband with it please tell!

Redhat 9 should boot from cd1 make sure to set up your bois to boot from cd and it should work. and what kind of apps where you wanting to know if it came with. there is alot of apps on the rh9 cds. you will notice that during installation. as for is redhat 9 good. i personally like it but now that im getting more and more into linux i am moving away from it. but it is a really good distro. it found all my hardware on my laptop with more or less no problem and thats pretty good for a laptop also.

edit: i was curious about this what is the point of aol for broadband? IMHO it doesnt seem to make much sence to me cause you are already paying your isp for the connection for the broadband, why would you want to pay more to use aol functions. i was jst curious.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Guru

Re: Red Hat 9 Help

Quote Originally Posted by BONKERS
    and if any one knows like a back door on how i can get onto AOL Broadband with it please tell!
    Dude, forget AOL!

AOL is incompatible with the rest of the computing world, including the linux computing world. AOL breaks every protocol and RFC...

*/me smiles @ having done my good deed for the day*

Jason

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    and you have to take in the fact that you are paying an extra 10 bucks a month jst to use there browser more or less.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by big_k105
    and you have to take in the fact that you are paying an extra 10 bucks a month jst to use there browser more or less.
    True.

The "browser" part of "their" browser is a Microsoft COMCtrl object anyway

Jason

Linux Newbie
    haha you two. but i must agree ... AOL is crap for everything. I never hated my parents as much as the day they told me they were getting AOL when i was a kid ... and I have never forgiven them either. but enough of my bask on AOHell ... I actually have a similiar question about installation, but not of Redhat 9 but Slackware 9. I got the cd's from a friend of mine, but I too have fu@#$%ed up my floppy drive. I tried to set my Bios to install from the cd, which I have always had to do ... and it gave me some error. Then I had tried to do the same thing with Gentoo 1.2. Any ideas as to the nature of my misfortunes?

-Brandon C. Brown
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

Linux Guru
    what was the error? normally that would give a clue as to what was wrong. How old is the PC?

Jason

Linux Newbie
    its not too old. a 733mhz processor and what not, so not terribly old. if my memory serves me correctly the error said something about missing file. I think i am just going to have to get crazy and actually try to fix my floppy disk drive. :-\ that could be tricky. Cause i would really love to be able to play with some other distros .. .especially Slack and Gentoo.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.