Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Again lol. ok, i have two computers i firstly planned to only install red hat 9 on one of my computers, and use that as the only OS on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HDD Partition

Hi Again lol. ok, i have two computers i firstly planned to only install red hat 9 on one of my computers, and use that as the only OS on there but then i decided to install it on this comp and use dual booting, but i dont have a clue on how to partition the drive. please help!

i would recommend using partition magic. it works great for shrinking a windows partion and creating the partitions you need for linux. i have 3 partitions for my redhat 9 on my laptop. the first 2 i did cause thats how i was told to do it and i dont really know why but i did. then the 3 is the swap partition. i was told to take the amount of ram you have and double it and that is how big or swap should be. but im probly not the best person to tell you about partitions so i will let someone else help out some too. i would wait to hear more info before messing with partions jst in case.

P.S. dont forget to back everything you want to keep up jst incase something goes wrong.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    lol, back up. back up what lol. the damm computer crashed on win xp pro pernimently thats why i am getting linux. this comp is the one that crasheds pernimently so theres nothing to back up i have a 40 gig hdd with only like 3 gig of it used. for the internet and stuff. nothing important at all lol. and if worst comes to worse i can just format the whole thing.... still need hnelp with partitioning! its a NFTS drive does that matter?

well for the 3 gigs that are in use waht kind of stuff are they and if you want to keep them then i would recommend putting them on cd or transfering to a different HD and if you did that then all you woudl have to do is put the redhat disc in and when it comes to the partion part start setting up your partitions again i would wait for someone else to reply. hope this helps some
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    can i set up a partition from the red hat instalation?

Linux Guru
    You can "setup" linux partitions from the redhat install procedure, but as far as i remember you will need to make some free space in the first place, using something like partition magic.

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Just a follow on note to the parition magic solution. NTFS is not the same in XP as it is in Win2k or NT. i.e. Partition Magic V5 (which does NTFS) won't work on XP's verson of NTFS. You'll need a new (8 works fine) or newer version (7 maybe).
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlanwan
    Just a follow on note to the parition magic solution. NTFS is not the same in XP as it is in Win2k or NT. i.e. Partition Magic V5 (which does NTFS) won't work on XP's verson of NTFS. You'll need a new (8 works fine) or newer version (7 maybe).
    I thought the 2K NTFS was the same as XP's and vica versa?

I dunno , maybe im behind the times

Jason