Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
ok i need to create book disk using a floppy! however wot img file do i use im trying to install red hat 8.0 wheres the location of the image ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    tim
    Just Joined!

ok i need to create book disk using a floppy!

however wot img file do i use

im trying to install red hat 8.0

wheres the location of the image i need?

Linux Guru
    What would you need that for? Are you saying that your BIOS is too old to boot from CD?

tim
    Just Joined!
    hi!

i like to say i installed redhat 8.0!

the only annoying thing is that my broadband modem is not on the list, would i be able to use the windows dial-up box using wine? i dunno if i cant get net then i just email the company and see if they have done a driver or anything....

but thanx for help!

Linux User
    what is your broadband modem who is your ISP, and how did you connect under windows, many of them have drivers of some sort...
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

tim
    Just Joined!
    hi!

im from england, so im with www.bt.com

their modem is "BT voyager USB"

since i think its custom built to their company and dont think its based on another company chipset. But BT are getting very popular in the broadband market here, so hopefully they have to release some drivers. unless any of you people wanna do some investigating or email them lol. Unless there is a "default" or "failsafe" linux driver i could use for unknown modems?

Oh under windows u click on their icon to connect, but it just opens the standard dial-up box, so just the windows default. could wine or another program handle this?

Linux User
    nope not a chance - default drivers would require that there be at least some form of standards - and there isn't.

contact them and see if they have any beta drivers or something, or see if you can find out if the modem is basically another companys modem in a different box (this is common)
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

tim
    Just Joined!
    ok will do cheers!

Linux Guru
    I know that there is a standard USB interface definition for communication devices, and since it used the dial-up drivers in windows, it might not be impossible that this is implemented as a PPP line, right?
    What shows in /proc/bus/usb/devices when you have your modem plugged in? Maybe it's accessible through one of the /dev/ttyUSB* devices, and if so, connectable via pppd?

tim
    Just Joined!
    i have a look soon!

tim
    Just Joined!
    first i opened that file and was not sure what i was looking for and was either gonna say "no try" or post it all here but then just as i was closing i saw this line:

S: Product=USB-ADSL Modem

so it must reconise it then? so now wot? oh please treat me like a newbie i have not been in linux for years but it is coming back to me which is good!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast