Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to install FC4 T3 but to no avail. I put the disk into the drive, it loads the loading program, and runs the loader to a point, where ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Fedora Core 4 Test 3

I'm trying to install FC4 T3 but to no avail. I put the disk into the drive, it loads the loading program, and runs the loader to a point, where it then says "loading /sbin/loader" and then freezes. The problem is not the CD, as I tested it on another machine, and the installer loaded up lickety split. The computer I'm attempting to install it on is newer and has better hardware than the test computer, so I doubt it is the hardware that is not supported. I created a separate partition on my computer for Linux using PartitionMagic 8.0. It is 25 GB and has the ext2 FS. I also have a 1 GB Swap partition. I have a PCV-RZ26G VAIO PC. Since purchasing it, I have upgraded the graphics card, I have installed a wifi card (DLink DWL 520+), and I have added a sound card (Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS). I want to set up a dual boot for now, until I can migrate all of my files from Windows to Linux. If anyone can help me or give me tips, I'd really appreciate them. Feel free to PM or IM me. Thank you!

--Drew

Just Joined!

re: installing FC4

It sounds like an HCL error. I would try disabling the unneeded hardware, and go from there. You said you wanted to know how to migrate files from windows to linux. Is Windows installed on this machine?

Just Joined!

FC4 Install

Thanks, I'll try that once I get back home. One question though: is the graphics card possibly a problem? And if so, how would I install the graphics driver? The card is AGP 128 MB. I'm not exactly sure of the model number at this point, but I can determine it upon returning home.

I do have Windows installed on the same machine, and I left a misconception open to interpretation. I wish to keep windows for gaming, but only for that. I will run all other applications from Linux. If there is any sort of way to run an emulator just for gaming, I would like to know about it, just for the sake of migrating completely. I also would like to note that I have a 40 GB iPod, 30 of which are free. I have 21.5 GB of files that I'd like to keep, and I'm working on a video project that is taking up 24 GB. I thank you again for your help.

--Drew

Just Joined!

Re:

First off, do you have a 64 bit processor?

Second, try removing any extra hardware including USB devices. If that doesn't help try passing the acpi=off parameter to the kernel before boot.

A great Win game emulator is called WineX. It will emulate tons of games that do not have support for the TuX, and I have found some games actually run faster through linux + emulating. Of course I would recommend you recompile your kernel first. Less is best!

On the topic of file migration through NTFS to ext2 or ext3. Check out this article. Also, I highly recommend this site as one of the greatest linux how to resources ever.

The Linux Documentation Project
    http://www.tldp.org/LDP/EVMSUG/html/clonentfsfsim.html

Just Joined!
    No, my processor is 32-bit P4 3.06 GHz. I downloaded the i386 distribution and am positive it is correct. Also, my graphics card is the ATI 9200 SE, 128 MB. Thanks again for the tips! Linux folks are much more helpful than Win users.

Linux folks are much more helpful than Win users.
    And smarter too.
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Just Joined!

It worked

This is a post from a linux box. And as a fellow Linux root, I agree with GNU_man. Thanks for the help all.