Find the answer to your Linux question:
I intalled slackware 10.1 but can't connect to the internet so i booted Windows to write this message. I have broadband ADSL connection. I tried ifconfig but it says that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Networking with Slackware 10.1

I intalled slackware 10.1 but can't connect to the internet so i booted Windows to write this message. I have broadband ADSL connection. I tried ifconfig but it says that device eth0 does not exist. Help!
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Linux Engineer
    If you have ADSL, try these commands (as root).

adsl-setup
    adsl-start
    adsl-stop
    adsl-status
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Thanks, i tried that, but i just get a 'timed out' error when i try to start it up. I
    forgot to mention that i also have a router, i'm not sure if that matters. Networking is not my strong suite, but i have tried KDE help, man pages, and looked in my UNIX book before posting this question... all to no avail

One more thing: is there any way to check the device status of eth0? I'm not sure the kernel even intitialized it .
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by GNU_man
    One more thing: is there any way to check the device status of eth0? I'm not sure the kernel even intitialized it .
    If ifconfig cannot see eth0 and ping localhost gives "time outs" you certainly have a nic issue.

try these to confirm
    Code:
     lspci | grep -i eth0
    Code:
    hwinfo netcard
    These may give you some clues.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Linux Engineer
    You have remembered to setup the network, right? Useally done as a part of the installation, but if not I think it was "netconfig" or something similar...

Thanks for help, but i've abandoned my Slack installation because i think it was a bad burn/bad download i was getting _tons_ of 'unknown' errors and SIGSEV crashes all over the place, so i just installed Debian Sarge instead! Also, according to the install guide, you have to manually setup kernel modules yourselt after install - to hell with all that ...
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!