Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I get a error message every time i boot GNOME. It says there was an unknown problem loading settings ( it tried to restart too many times). I'm wondering ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GNOME problem with Slackware 10.1

Hello. I get a error message every time i boot GNOME. It says there was an unknown problem loading settings ( it tried to restart too many times). I'm wondering if this could be a bad burn. I've used the same CD's to test Slackware on my laptop computer and it did the same thing. Anyone know anything about this?
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Just Joined!

might be a gstreamer problem (it was with my slackware 10.1 system)

Hi

Is this a problem with the ROOT user but not with others ? Or with one specific user and not others ? Does your gnome session continue but give you the "wrong" icons ?

If so, then you may have hit the "gstreamer" libraries problem. The solution is to do the following :-

cd /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8
    mv libgstxine.so libgstxine.so.null

I can't take the credit for this. I had this error and was ripping what little hair I had left out by the roots when a google search turned up a page authored by a Christoph Willing of the University of Queensland. In there I found a mention of this bug and a link to a posting in alt.os.linux.slackware with the title "10.1 Gnome Error As Root".

However, I hope this helps !

Thanks, but that message was a couple weeks ago and i have since replaced Slack with Debian Sarge. I was planning to use it until Deb 3.1 stable was released, which was much sooner than i had thought!

BTW i had just concluded that it was a bad burn
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521