Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
EDIT - see my third post! ok, so the details are... I am triple booting windass xp pro, gentoo and jamd on the same box, using two different hard drives. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

new gentoo users - WARNING!

EDIT - see my third post!

ok, so the details are...

I am triple booting windass xp pro, gentoo and jamd on the same box, using two different hard drives.

I have installed gentoo and even managed to get it to boot using the grub bootloader installed by jamd by adding it to my grub.conf.

The problem I am having is getting it to find my ethernet card. It is fully installed at this point, I used the live althon cd and did a stage 3 (yeah, I opted for the easy way). Anyway, when I boot the live cd, it recognizes my eth no problem and I can ping anything fine. When I boot into the actual install it won't work - says it can't find the module.
    The obvious answer is to compile it into the kernel, so I cd /usr/src/linux and make menuconfig and find the via rhine module and select it and recompile, but it won't work. I have also looked at my /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4 file and tried adding the same modules that were listed when I lsmod on the live cd (via-rhine and mii) but that didn't work. I also tried going into /etc/conf.d/net and uncommenting the line for my dhcp (using a router) but that didn't work either.
    I have been at this since last night and not sure what to do at this point.

Basically all I have left to do is install kde from cd 2 and get my other modules working but that can come later, I do have to have net tho.

Some notes:

I noticed a couple of weird things during the install. I am tempted to do the whole thing all over again, but it took so gd long that it would be annoying. I can't see how anyone can do this is under an hour. It took about 3 hours alone to do emerge -k emu10k1 which ended up just showing me a ton of errors when i booted anyway cuz it couldn't find the modules. Also, when I was copying some other files over, I noticed that I had to create directories because they didn't exist - namely in portage with package and such. (I can be more specific if need be). Anyway, everything seemed to go well enough once I created those dirs.

I am using the athlon 1.4 live cds

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Linux User
    Did you build it into the kernel or did you build it as a module? If not build it as a module (make sure you type M), double check to make sure you added the right module number to modules.autoload and you already uncommented the DHCP so everything should be good. If it doesn't load once you reboot, try modprobing it once it boots up. Oh yeah, don't forget to make dep after you recompile, and copy the new bzImage to your /boot directory.

Linux Enthusiast
    well, after a lot of work, I was able to find out what part of the problem was.

I did not allow gentoo to install grub, instead I added it to my previous install of grub. However, in my ignorance and lack of knowing what to write down in the grub entry, i was booting kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r5 and therefore was making all of my changes in modules and suck to that (I presume) which created a fine mess when I actually entered the correct kernel (hd0,2)/boot/bzImage entry and booted. It just scrolled full of messages indicating that I had unresolved modules and such. It appears there is no way to fix that (that I know of).

I am tempted to just reinstall for two reasons:

1 - another learning experience
    2 - punishment for my ignorance (although I don't fully blame myself, since the install guide didn't show how to add entries to grub that worked)

so, any input on that?

Here is my objective:

I have the two live 1.4 athlon cd's.
    I want to install as much as I can from the cd's without losing too much optimization. (i know that is a contradiction, but hopefully my point is made).
    I currenly have three primary partiitions set aside for gentoo:
    hda2 - swap
    hda3 - root
    hda4 - home (which never did mount properly)

So what is the best way about going to achieve my objective? I don't want to spend an eternity on this again, but I would like some nice optimization.

Thanks in advance.

Linux User
    Allowing Gentoo to install GRUB isn't an issue, if you already have it installed you don't have to install it again. I'm not sure if you did the following or not correctly but give it a try again anyway.

Here's my quick little guide to kenel recompilation:

mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
    swapon /dev/hda2
    mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc

chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig

Double check that the things you want as modules are in fact set as modules

After you make the changes and save:
    make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install
    cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot

Double check that your grub.conf is set up correctly. During one of my install attempts grub got installed in the / directory instead of the /boot directory and that caused some issues for me.
    exit
    cd /
    unmount directorys and reboot.

You probably did most or all of that already but everyone makes mistakes sometimes. If you do all that and it still doesn't work, let me take a look at your grub.conf. If that's all right and you're still having problems you may very well have to do a re-install. A nice feature that I wasn't aware of until recently is that you can do at F2, alt F3 ect and open a different console. So if you ever get stuck on something you can open links (included on the live cd) and find some answers instead of having to reboot into something else. I hope that helps you a little bit, even though I probably just posted stuff you already know about...

Oh yeah, check your fstab and make sure you added your home partition correctly.

Linux Enthusiast
    upon doing some more reading, I found this posted by one of the developers:

Code:
    Jeez, I've had quite a night of incorrect theories.

Turns out it's the worst kind of bug - a documentation bug.

Instead of:

cp -a /mnt/cdrom/packages/* /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/packages/

it should have been:

cp -a /mnt/cdrom/packages /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/packages

Fixed install doc is in CVS and wil hit the website soon.

For people who already have this problem:
    cd /usr/portage/packages
    mkdir All
    mv *tbz2 All/

then try proceeding with merging the kernel as per the install guide.
    found here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=72751&start=0

among many other problems listed in that same thread, a lot of people got pretty pissed off, others were understanding, but nonetheless it still isn't clear what the he11 is going on.

so that's part of the problem right there.

I am going to wait on it until it gets fixed. I would just install another distro on those partitons, but I can't think of anything better than Gentoo and my other top choice is Jamd which is alreaduy installed and running great.

Linux User
    That's a portage problem, a documentation problem for that matter. I was reading your thread in the Gentoo forums and I'm quite lost as to your problem. Maybe a re-install will be your best bet. Sorry I coudln't be of more help, hope all goes well for you with Gentoo.

Linux Enthusiast
    yes, i think i will reinstall. I am tempted to not use the live cd's and instead just do things the old fashioned way and do a stage 1. still undecided though, i need to find a way that will work and isn't full of doc problems.

Linux User
    I used the x86 live cd and and http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml this doc and had no problems once I figured out what I was doing. Over my various install ventures I did a stage one and 2 stage 3s before finally doing the last stage 1. I may give the pentium 3 cd a try and see the differences. I'm building a new box over the next couple of months (CPU's most likely going to be Athlon) and I haven't decided which cd I will eventually use. I guess I'll try the pent 3 cd and see if I notice any major differences.[/url]

Linux Enthusiast
    the errors are still on that doc, for athlon live cd users wanting to use GRP.

I downloaded the stage one tarball - I can't find anything telling me how to install it though! Is is bootable, if so, how?

This is getting ridiculous.

Now I know why I like Jamd so much - fast and easy install, works great, optimized very well and a nice community.

I want to give gentoo a go on my main box, but cripes, it is such a struggle - and I am not even talking about the install (notwithstanding the erroneous documentation).

Linux Guru
    I'm rather sure that the install doc says so somewhere, but anyway. You boot from the LiveCD, and you untar the stage one tarball onto your root filesystem. That is, the tarball is the foundation for your new system.

If I understand your problem correctly, it had to do with the stage 3 installation of the portage tree, right? I didn't do a stage 3 installation, but I know that if you start from stage 1 or 2, you don't have to copy any portage directories at all from the CD. You just run emerge sync and it gets the tree from Gentoo's rsync site for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast