Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I've been trying to install Novell Linux Desktop 9 on my system. I've download the .iso image from the web and burn them into 3 CDs which I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

suse linux installation does not prompt for cd 2 and cd 3

Hi all,

I've been trying to install Novell Linux Desktop 9 on my system. I've download the .iso image from the web and burn them into 3 CDs which I label them as CD1, CD2 and CD2.

When I have finished with CD1, the system did not prompt me for the insertion of CD2. After which, the system performs some configuration and reboot.

According to the documentation:If you are installing from CD, leave CD 1 in your CD-ROM drive during the reboot and do not select any installation options. When the reboot is finished, the installation will continue and you will be promted to insert CD 2, followed by CD 3.

After the reboot, I didnt choose any installation option. But the default option is "boot from Harddisk'

May I know when do I have to insert CD2 and CD3 so as to complete my installation.

Thank you

Just Joined!

hi

hi there,

I am not good at this but have you changed the option in the bios for the first boot option to be cd rather than the hard disk while trying to install. May be that is the problem.

Prasanth

No, it is booting from cd. If it didn't you couldn't start the installation at all. Let me get this straight: after it reboots, what happens if you boot from HD? Do you have any options to boot suse?
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi all,

Hi,

This is the information I recived after CD1 finishes and the system reboot.

There are some options avaliable on the screen:

Boot from Hard Disk
    Installation --- ACPI Disabled
    Installation --- Safe Settings
    Manual Installation
    Rescue System
    Memory Test

I decided to choose "Boot from hardisk" This is the information display on the screen when I "Boot from Harddisk"

GNU GRUB ver 0.94 (639K Lower/261056K Upper memory)

[Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completetions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename.

grub>

Is this problem due to the fact that I havent insert CD 2 and CD3?

Thanks

I don't mean to go off-topic here, but is there a reason you chose Novell Linux Desktop 9? It's meant to be a corporate workstation, and is only available in trial versions. You'd be better off IMO using Novell SuSE Linux 9.2 Professional. It's available for free now, no trial dates or registrations.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants