Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hai, i have linux and windows xp dual boot. But for some reason the xp got correpted and now when i reinstalled xp i could nt able to get dual ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to overright the mbr with linux & windows dual boot

Hai,
    i have linux and windows xp dual boot. But for some reason the xp got correpted and now when i reinstalled xp i could nt able to get dual boot option. The mbr have been over written. How to get back the dual boot option. My linux distro is fedora 3.
    Please guide me
    --prasanna.k

Linux Engineer
    The first thing you should do is to get a livecd, for example the gentoo livecd or knoppix... Then you mount the linux partition to, lets say /mnt/linuxdistro and chroot into it:
    Code:
    su
    mkdir /mnt/linuxdistro
    mount -t ext3 /dev/hda2 /mnt/linuxdistro
    mount -t proc none /mnt/linuxdistro/proc
    mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /mnt/linuxdistro/boot    [color=red] #ONLY if /boot is on its own partition[/color]
    chroot /mnt/linuxdistro
    ^^ Replace "ext3" with the filesystem of the root-device, and /dev/hda2 with your root-device. The same info about /boot must be replaced if you have /boot on a seperate partition.

I've been using LILO lately so I can't say som much about grub, but here's at least how gentoo docs describe installing grub:
    Code:
    grub-install /dev/hda
    Replace hda with the harddrive you're installing grub on.