Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have a question involving another install of in addittion to what I have on my coputer. I'm running a 60 gig HD on which I have roughly a 49 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Another Linux Question

I have a question involving another install of in addittion to what I have on my coputer. I'm running a 60 gig HD on which I have roughly a 49 gig partition for my Windows XP (yea, I know I know, I still use it for video editing though), about a 6 gig partition for Fedora Core 3, and a 800 or so swap partition. With the remaining space I'm trying to install the Auditor Wireless Package (a distro based on KNOPPIX with the option to install to the drive in KDE).

Now, my problem is that I when I format the remaining space into ext3 and I boot into the KNOPPIX enviroment to install it, the only partition it senses to install to is hda3, the partition that Fedora is on. I've tried partitioning it differently and many other ideas, and made sure its a primary partition, but it refuses to be detected. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Linux Engineer
    Try using qtparted to resize the windows-partition, create a new linux-partition and choose to install to that one.

Just Joined!

RE:

I did just that, I have a partition of ext3 on hda4, but the installer only sees hda3. Is it due to some kind of root setting parameter or something?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Thats weird, useally it should work fine... Can you print the output of "fdisk -l /dev/hdc"? Just to see how partitions are set up

Just Joined!

RE

Yea, I'll print it out within the hour, I've just got to reboot into Linux after I finish my work- but another note that I'm not sure is related- I originally made the partition within partition magic, and I deleted it now with Fdisk, thinking I might be able to just remake it within the Auditor, but whenever I start qtparted and click on hd1, it begins scanning the drive's partitions, and gets to 80% and just locks up, assumably more towards the section if the disk I'm working with. Is this some kind of indication?

Just Joined!

Printings

[root@localhost ~]# fdisk -l /dev/hdc
    Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)

Disk /dev/hdc: 696 MB, 696420352 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 21 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 2048 = 32901120 bytes

Disk /dev/hdc doesn't contain a valid partition table

Thats based off the exact command, but I'm not sure if you wanted the CD rom for some reason, which is what hdc is. Below is my actual hard-drive info from fdisk

[root@localhost ~]# fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 1 6185 49680981 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda2 6186 6287 819315 82 Linux swap
    /dev/hda3 * 6288 7116 6658942+ 83 Linux
    [root@localhost ~]#

Linux Engineer
    Sorry, I was just messing around, at my comp the cdrom is at /dev/hda and the harddrive at /dev/hdc...

But on that harddrive can't see any /dev/hdc4, you can try to create one, if not qtparted is working OK, you can use "fdisk" or "cfdisk" to partition and add the hdc4 from CUI.

I think you mean hda4
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!

RE

Yea, I sent that table just after I wiped my hda4, but I'm just wondering if it has something to do with Auditor not seeing that partition due to the fact that it may be using hda3 as a root? I'm not too familiar with knoppix's behavior in relation to booting from the disk, so I have to wonder, but I'll remake the partition and try again.

To be safe and sure do a reboot after repartitioning and before writing a filesystem to the newly created partition.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast