Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Compaq Presario 4460ES. And yes you read that correctly. It's a 4460ES. It's an old computer that Compaq made for schools. I got it from CHKD(Children of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Compaq problem

I have a Compaq Presario 4460ES. And yes you read that correctly. It's a 4460ES. It's an old computer that Compaq made for schools. I got it from CHKD(Children of the kings daughters)hospital because a local school donated them. Anyway I have this problem. It has windows 95 and an Admin account. I can't get into that account because guess what, I don't know the password.

I was thinking about putting Linux on it but guess what.......I have another problem. The bio's appears to be installed on the hard drive. No I'm not stupid, it's true. When I press F10 the bios will only come up if the original hard drive is in there. What should I do?

I would add a slave hard drive, you probably are going to have to anyway. those Win95 computers came with some pretty low hard drives.

I just pulled one out that was 1228 MB that had Win95 on it.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

I thought of that but I cannot seem to find an option to boot from the CD rom drive.