Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just finished building a new computer for myself, the specs of which I'll post a little further down. I'm attempting to install Red Hat 9 onto this box, however, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red Hat Linux 9 Installation Help...I'm a newbie around here

I just finished building a new computer for myself, the specs of which I'll post a little further down. I'm attempting to install Red Hat 9 onto this box, however, regardless of whether I use text or graphical install modes at somepoint in the installation "Install exited abnormally - Signal 11" will come up and of course I have to shut down or restart the machine. Right now the hard drives are empty. I also MD5SUM checked each of the ISOs and all passed, I also did the Installation media check and again all 3 discs passed. Anyone have any ideas of whats wrong. Heres the specs on the computer:
    AMD Athlon XP 2700+ Processor
    ASUS A7N8X Motherboard
    512 MB of DDR 3200 RAM (Ultra Memory brand)
    Dual 80 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drives with Hard Drive Coolers (Hitachi/IBM Deskstar)
    Full Tower Chieftec Case
    52x/24x/48x CD-R/RW/Reader (Sony)
    16x/10x/40x CD & DVD Burner/Reader (NEC)
    3 Case Fans
    3.5" Floppy Drive
    250 mb USB 2.0 External Zip Drive
    Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Speakers
    64 MB DDR GeForce Ti 4200 with S-Video Out (XFX make)
    400 Watt Power Supply (CompUSA Brand)
    17" CRT Monitor

I know the processor isn't overheating nor is the motherboard or any other internal peripherals. Everything runs at a healthy temperature. The NEC DVD Burner I listed above is from a DELL Dimension, and I wonder if there isn't something proprietary about it screwing everything up. Thanks everyone for all your help, its greatly appreciated!!!

Brian

Linux Enthusiast
    have you disabled plug n play in your bios?

Linux Guru
    Have you set something that even looks close to overclocking in your hardware drive BIOS settings? Setting some parameters incorrectly may cause bitrot in the RAM.

Linux User

strange but true

This also happened to me. My install would die at random points with different error messages. I believe my problem was caused by an intermittent problem on my hard drive. to get around it I installed Mandrake first on a very basic install - but most importantly I partitioned and formatted my drive. I find mandrake has the fastest install of any linux I have used.

Once installed, I then stuck redhat straight on and only formatted the / partition leaving my swap and /home intact and this worked. Might have been blind luck as the dodgy area ended up in /home or swap.

But it worked for me.

I recomend trying a CD based distro like morphix. It is a good check for hardware compatibility. If 75% of your gear works in morphix then it is worth hunting for the rest.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yowwww
    have you disabled plug n play in your bios?
    There were some strange default settings that I changed with the help of some folks from the AMD Motherboard Forums. I have not looked into the PNP settings in BIOS, I will do that. Thanks in advance.

Brian

PS Did you lose power like we did on Thursday?

Linux Enthusiast
    yup, my power was out for 24 hours str8.

I right in the middle of emerging xfree in gentoo

That was quite the idiotic design they had set up to supply power.